Qbasicnews.com
QB problem with Flat Screen Monitors - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: General (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General/Misc (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: QB problem with Flat Screen Monitors (/thread-10006.html)

Pages: 1 2

QB problem with Flat Screen Monitors - GordonSweet - 07-21-2007

I have finally lashed out on a new PC but still using the tried and trusted Windows XP rather that the dubious Vista.

I now have the problem that the fancy 19 in Flat Screen will not allow me to use QB with any screen setting other that the text only screen 0. It cannot be Windows as as I never have the problem with the old PC also using XP. I have tried the various compatibilty options such as 256 colours or set for Win 95 without luck.

The screen just goes blank needing use of Alt+Ctrl+Del to activate the task manager to display the screen and close QB

Gordon

Re: QB problem with Flat Screen Monitors - Kevin_theprogrammer - 07-21-2007

Quote:I have finally lashed out on a new PC but still using the tried and trusted Windows XP rather that the dubious Vista.

I now have the problem that the fancy 19 in Flat Screen will not allow me to use QB with any screen setting other that the text only screen 0. It cannot be Windows as as I never have the problem with the old PC also using XP. I have tried the various compatibilty options such as 256 colours or set for Win 95 without luck.

The screen just goes blank needing use of Alt+Ctrl+Del to activate the task manager to display the screen and close QB

Gordon
Usually LCD monitors do not support multiple modes, and when they do, they don't support resolutions under 800x600 without scaling pixels to said resolution.

QB problem with Flat Screen Monitors - GordonSweet - 07-21-2007

Thanks but is there anything I can try to allow me to use QB again.

My display is at present set on 1024 X 768 and if of any help the monitor is a HANNS-G 19 inch standard not wide screen.

Gordon

QB problem with Flat Screen Monitors - Kevin_theprogrammer - 07-22-2007

Quote:Thanks but is there anything I can try to allow me to use QB again.

My display is at present set on 1024 X 768 and if of any help the monitor is a HANNS-G 19 inch standard not wide screen.

Gordon
Try DOSBox. If you can't run that try DOSEmu, but you'll need to install Linux first to use it, or you could possibly compile it through MinGW, though I don't know if it will work. I haven't compiled it through MinGW. Heck, you could even try using Microsoft Virtual PC if you can't compile it, though there are certainly going to be performance hits if you can't run DOSBox for QB programs.

QB problem with Flat Screen Monitors - na_th_an - 07-22-2007

I believe that DosBox is the only way to use QB and QB programs safely for everyone. The emulation is almost perfect.

I'd say that DosBox has brought us the opportunity of keep coding in QB like in the old times Tongue As I do for ZX Spectrum, MSX, CPC or C64 Big Grin PC/DOS has become an ancient platform.

QB problem with Flat Screen Monitors - GordonSweet - 07-22-2007

Thanks kindly guys, you are both dead right, but I just need to get it to show full screen if possible.

It make you wonder what DOSBOX does to allow QB to run again OK

Gordon

QB problem with Flat Screen Monitors - na_th_an - 07-22-2007

DosBOX is just an emulator, it just emulates a 486/early Pentium machine with MSDOS. It emulates some soundcards, VESA modes and all the CGA/EGA/VGA modes as well.

In the latest versions you can even install Windows 3.1 Tongue

Being an emulator and not a virtual machine means that it is way slower than running a MSDOS program directly on Windows using the NTVDM. The good thing is that you have absolutely no problems with things such as EMS memory 'cause memory is emulated.

DosBOX uses DirectX for the "virtual display", so you can switch to fullscreen flawlessly, as it will try to find an usable video mode and then it will stretch the display to fit. You can even add scanlines to get an "oldie feel" Tongue

Re: QB problem with Flat Screen Monitors - notthecheatr - 08-17-2007

Without trying to be inflammatory, I'll only recommend FreeBasic.  I think I can still run QB on my Windows XP laptop, but most of the nice high-res screen modes cause crashes and things.  If you must use QB, I guess you'll want an emulator as has already been noted.  FreeBasic, on the other hand, supports any screen resolution you could possibly want - and any platform you use.  But if you prefer QB, best of luck to you in any case!

Re: QB problem with Flat Screen Monitors - GordonSweet - 08-19-2007

Thanks for reminding me to try FB, and you are quite correct all my FB efforts seem to run OK with this 19 inch flat screen monitor, except some now fail to abort anyway. I will need to investigate the problem.

However I would like to warn all that so far as I can see from a preliminary check it would appear NONE of my old DOS programs and games now run even those not produced by such as many shareware, with the flat screen monitor. It would appear modern technology is no longer intersted in past used of DOS.

Gordon

Re: QB problem with Flat Screen Monitors - Plasma - 08-19-2007

I'll bet this actually has nothing to do with the monitor. More likely you've got Vista with a WDDM graphics driver that denies int 10h. This is a well-known problem that can be sidestepped by using XP graphics drivers instead, but then you lose Aero.