Qbasicnews.com
Let's have an encryption CHALLENGE! - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: QbasicNews.Com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Challenges (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Let's have an encryption CHALLENGE! (/thread-1160.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

yeah it prolly does - Meg - 07-24-2003

but some of those characters can't be displayed on the forum so that's how it came back. The hex-> dec conversion I did is correct. The string will be those series of characters. Use the DEC format, it's easier than the ASCII one (it's just the ASC val of the characters).

*peace*

Meg.

Let's have an encryption CHALLENGE! - Agamemnus - 07-24-2003

No, I don't think that's the case. Notice the "?" in the initial text. That's equivalent to 63, which doesn't show up.

well - Meg - 07-24-2003

well it's most likely the formatting of the forum. the hex to decimal conversion is correct. Google search for "hex to ascii conversion" to check it out yourself.

*peace*

Meg.

I wasn't questioning that. Smile

Let's have an encryption CHALLENGE! - toonski84 - 07-24-2003

look, aga, you gots the numbers. Now, i myself was fooled by thinking it was a single 0-255 value it was XORing, and i set off like a big idiot to make a program to decrypt it until i realized it XOR'd a pattern of values based on the string. it didnt take me long to realize that there's no chance in hell that i, with my high school education, could crack such a code without the key.

however, just out of curiousity, people crack codes like this everyday. how to cryptologists crack this sort of stuff?

i remember reading about a set of three ciphers that only the first one was decoded, and it was a set of numbers pointing to the nth word of the declaration of independence, and the other two have yet to be cracked. anyone know more about that? I think a "document" cipher program would be real cool, if you had a way to point to the nth word, and if the word doesnt appear, make notation to point to the nth letter of the nth word, because then you could solve it more easily without the help of a computer program if you had the key document.

Let's have an encryption CHALLENGE! - Nexinarus - 07-24-2003

heh - you could always use the good ol brute force method Smile. Ive got a brute force program that can crack a passworded zip/rar archive(or self extracter), and it works remarkably fast.

i once tried to use one of those programs. after several hours, i just gave up and deleted the zip.

Let's have an encryption CHALLENGE! - Nexinarus - 07-24-2003

heh

but moving back, brute force couldnt work for something like a small message, because there's no way for the computer to recognize the right results from the wrong. you'd have to match each word to a dictionary, and that could take awhile. but i'm sure cryptologists have to crack stuff like this routinely or there wouldnt be a cryptology department in law enforcement.

depends,

Blitz's code is a bit convoluted..