Qbasicnews.com
Codename Surena with Windows XP Style - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: QbasicNews.Com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: QB/FB News (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Codename Surena with Windows XP Style (/thread-1675.html)

Pages: 1 2

Codename Surena with Windows XP Style - Fling-master - 08-05-2003

Sepent Codename Surena: Windowing Preview 2 is now available to download at http://www.sepent.com/prog/basic/surena/. The GUI features Windows 95 style and Windows XP style windows and controls.

Codename Surena with Windows XP Style - Sterling Christensen - 08-06-2003

You shouldn't check for available XMS memory - it's often unreliable. Sometimes Windows XP will report zero free XMS, when there's really plenty and you can allocate all you want (mine does this). Is this the only thing keeping it from running on NT/2000/XP computers?

I tried it in my Windows 98 virtual machine (under vmWare 4.0), but your program printed "unprintable error at line 0 in module iCantRememberTheFilename" - looks like I need a real Win 9x computer :-(

Well, if I can't look at it, then I've got some questions for you (these are the things I would have checked for):
Code:
Sterling Christensen's GUI checklist:
I. Which of the following does it support:
   A. menu bar
      1. menu items can be disabled (grayed out)
      2. tool tips pop up or help text on some status bar for menu items
      3. accessible by keyboard
      4. doesn't freeze everything else while browsing the menu
      5. Windows or Mac style mouse control? (with Mac you have to hold the mouse button down or the menu closes)
      6. Windows or Mac placement? (in a window, or at the top of the screen)
   B. input boxes
      1. can insert/delete a character anywhere, not just at the end of the string
      2. can accommodate strings wider than the input box - scrolls
      3. doesn't freeze everything else while active
      4. home, end, backspace, and delete all work
      5. has a blinking cursor
      6. no flicker
   C. list boxes
      1. down, up, page up, page down work
      2. can accommodate any number of items (with a scroll bar)
   D. buttons
      1. custom text, not just "OK" and "Cancel"
      2. doesn't freeze everything else while being pressed
   E. fonts
      1. works with any font (the font it uses could be replaced with a different one)
      2. characters in the font can be different widths
      3. reasonably fast
II. mouse
   A. changes (normal, hourglass, text editing, window resizing)
   B. no mouse related graphical errors - ie mouse is properly hidden while drawing to the screen to prevent "mouse droppings"
III. screen modes
   A. works in different resolutions and bit depths
   B. does/doesn't use a library?
IV. Using it in a program
   A. What are it's conventional memory requirements, how big is it?
   B. Is it loaded as a module (.BAS), or a library (.QLB)?
It doesn't have to any any of these for me to appreciate it, they're just a few of the things I look for.

The screenshot on your site looks impressive - wish I could see more.

Codename Surena with Windows XP Style - Homayoon - 08-09-2003

The reason for not being run under Windows NT family is not XMS (although the error message says so!). The problems is SVGA graphics. All SVGA QB programs we know does not run under NT family and so is Surena.

About the features I will give you some information (you can find an overview of the project at Surena home page at http://www.sepent.com/prog/basic/surena/):

In current preview the only control is button control. Since Surena is fully multitasking nothing will freeze while a button is being pushed (You cannot test this one in current preview but believe me!).

Surena has an advanced font system. It is very fast (it is fast because all speed-critical parts of Codename Surena are written in assembly), the fonts can have different widths and any font can be converted to Surena Quick Font format.

Mouse will never hide while working because of the way Surena manages the screen (Everything is drawn on an XVP in memory and then will be moved to the screen). The shape of the mouse cursor can be changed but current preview does not show this feature.

Surena supports different screen resolutions in SVGA. But the screen mode should be at least 15-bit. SVGA graphics is fully written by us in Assembly language to be fast enough. Surena does not use any library.

You cannot use Surena IN a program. Your program should be run under Surena. As it is described in Surena home page, you will be able to write your program using Codename Surena Basic or using any other language). When using Surena Basic, Surena features are directly available to use. when using another language like QB you should use Surena's dynamically loadable API. This means that the code will not be linked to your program.

About memory usage, we try to keep Surena as small as possible. Most of Surena's data is stored in extended memory so conventional memory will be used only for the EXE itself.

Codename Surena with Windows XP Style - Serge_2003 - 08-09-2003

I think Sepent should just GPL Surena, since I think there's nothing special about QB GUI's, and I don't think anyone would use it as they're main OS anyway - compared to Linux and/or Windows.

I mean seriously, who cares about the source code of a QB GUI?

Codename Surena with Windows XP Style - Sterling Christensen - 08-10-2003

Quote:The problems is SVGA graphics. All SVGA QB programs we know does not run under NT family and so is Surena.
Actually, that depends of the video card's NT/2000/XP drivers. Every SVGA/VESA graphics library I know of works on my nVidia GeForce4 MX 440, but I used to have trouble back when I was still using a cheapo Number Nine SR9 card.

There's still no good reason why Surena shouldn't work on my computer...

Codename Surena with Windows XP Style - ak00ma - 08-10-2003

One question:

How did you do the multi-tasking??? With QB or ASM???

Because I think that you can't do real multi-tasking with QB

Codename Surena with Windows XP Style - na_th_an - 08-10-2003

Quote:One question:

How did you do the multi-tasking??? With QB or ASM???

Because I think that you can't do real multi-tasking with QB

You can't do real multitasking with any language as long as you have just one porcessor. To simulate multitasking, you can use any language, including QB, but it would be somewhat slow.

Codename Surena with Windows XP Style - Serge_2003 - 08-11-2003

Quote:
Homayoon Wrote:The problems is SVGA graphics. All SVGA QB programs we know does not run under NT family and so is Surena.
Actually, that depends of the video card's NT/2000/XP drivers. Every SVGA/VESA graphics library I know of works on my nVidia GeForce4 MX 440, but I used to have trouble back when I was still using a cheapo Number Nine SR9 card.

There's still no good reason why Surena shouldn't work on my computer...

Oh yeah, I have a SiS video card with wxp corp. pro installed (right now, Linux later on :bounce: ), and I've enabled XMS/... in the PIF editor thing.., and no matter what I've tried Surena W/P 1 & 2 still doesn't work!

Codename Surena with Windows XP Style - Sterling Christensen - 08-11-2003

Serge_2003: Do other SVGA/VESA programs run ok?

Codename Surena with Windows XP Style - na_th_an - 08-11-2003

I ran this using Windows 98 and a GeForce card, and it didn't work either. Ran it using Windows 98 and a Voodoo3 videocard and didn't work.

It worked on my 486 in pure DOS and a SiS 6202 video card, though.