Qbasicnews.com
Chaser - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: QBasic (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: QB Projects (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Chaser (/thread-3.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

... - Lachie Dazdarian - 05-09-2002

...I would need to have a peek on the source code if you want my help.

I cannot give you tips on AI since i don't know how your phisics and moving of that color things really work.So my tips might lead you to a wrong path.

Chaser - meritmonster - 05-09-2002

One thing...How do you win/lose chaser? Are there any win conditions?
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Chaser - wizardlife - 05-10-2002

As far as I can tell, the AI is pretty much either 'seek to player' or 'run in opposite direction'. It's easy to avoid it, and even easier to catch it. You need to give it some kind of 'game plan', where it tries to trap you on a wall or whatever.

Also, the game suffers from SimCity sydrome -- it's motiveless. You need to make some kind of win scenerio, after which perhaps the player progresses to a smaller arena, one with obstacles, or some other such reward.

Sim City Syndrome - Oinkerwinkle - 05-10-2002

I think I cured Chaser of Sim City Syndrome. Now there is an ending score... Only one scoring method in so far though. Thanks for the AI suggestions.

I have reached the limit of space, and it now says "Program Memory Overflow" when I try to compile. Sad Grrrrrr....

Can someone explain PCOPY and WAIT?

Quote:...I would need to have a peek on the source code if you want my help.

I cannot give you tips on AI since i don't know how your phisics and moving of that color things really work.So my tips might lead you to a wrong path.

I don't understand what you mean by physics. If you mean how movement is controlled, each player has a xd (how fast they are moving horizontally) and a yd (how fast they are moving vertically).

Pressing up reduced yd by one, down increases it by one, and the same thing happens for horizontal movement if you flip it on its side(if that makes sense...).

Quote:color things
Huh?

Chaser - Zmisk - 05-10-2002

I've seen you been working on the stars, and so far, it's looking good. The only thing you must fix is not drawing the stars over the walls and making the stars move in different speeds.

... - Lachie Dazdarian - 05-10-2002

....you must connect XD and YD.How?

When you raise or lower XD you must decrase YD from to 0 to get a better effect try it.Also do it with YD.When raising or lowering him you decrase XD to 0.Also you need to work on bouncing of walls.

It simply needs improvement.It's jerky.And please desable the delay in menu which you use to make type effect with menu titles.
It's annoying.All in all great idea.But code must be improved.

Chaser - BlueKeyboard - 05-10-2002

If you are going to use PCOPY you can only use 16 colors, becouse
you can only use PCOPY in screen 7 and screen 9.
SCREEN 7 = 320x200
SCREEN 9 = 640x350

Without PCOPY:
Code:
SCREEN 7

RANDOMIZE TIMER
DO
CLS
Keypress = INP(&H60)
CircleColor = INT(RND * 14) + 1
CIRCLE (160, 100), 119, CircleColor
PAINT (160, 100), CircleColor
DEF SEG = 0: POKE &H41A, PEEK(&H41C)
LOOP UNTIL (Keypress = 1)

With PCOPY:
Code:
SCREEN 7, 0, 0, 1

RANDOMIZE TIMER
DO
CLS
Keypress = INP(&H60)
CircleColor = INT(RND * 14) + 1
CIRCLE (160, 100), 119, CircleColor
PAINT (160, 100), CircleColor
WAIT &H3DA, 8
PCOPY 0, 1
DEF SEG = 0: POKE &H41A, PEEK(&H41C)
LOOP UNTIL (Keypress = 1)

I know that using CLS makes it flicker, but this is only an example.

Chaser - meritmonster - 05-10-2002

Try starting QB with the /AH parameter to eliminate the out of memory errors (I think this allows your code to exeed 64kb)

Chaser - meritmonster - 05-10-2002

To avoid flickering, you can use double buffering in screen13 (and so still use 256 colours). Here is a really cool tut for it here http://lightning.prohosting.com/~ichinar/Files/tuts/doublbuf.txt
Or you could use a lib, but that would mean you would have to recode most of it.
^^^ If you're happy with using 16 colours then please ignore all of the above! Big Grin ^^^

Chaser - BlueKeyboard - 05-10-2002

It doesn't look like the game uses more than 16 colors.