Qbasicnews.com
message prog - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: QBasic (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: QB Projects (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: message prog (/thread-3182.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

message prog - andy - 02-12-2004

I want to make a prog where you can send a message from one computer to another on a network. I can't use the cmd command messanger because it is disabled on both computers. Also the other computer shouldn't need the program.

I can probably wright the code for most of it, it is just the sending that I can't work out.

Any help would be appreciated.

message prog - Agamemnus - 02-12-2004

I made such a program once.

It's quite simple.

What you do is you simply have a common network file that is read and written to.

The message system will only work in DOS of course...

message prog - TheBigBasicQ - 02-12-2004

You could setup a p2p connection. With a copy of the 'server' and 'client' programs running at both end. It wont be difficult =).

message prog - KiZ - 02-12-2004

Yea: what aga said is a good idea. Most networks have a folder that has the ability to be accessed by all the computers on the network. Just update a file in the folder with the messages you want to send.

message prog - TheBigBasicQ - 02-12-2004

That makes it network specific. Which i dont like =(.

message prog - Neo - 02-13-2004

I agree, setting up your own network connection via your program works better.

message prog - TheBigBasicQ - 02-13-2004

It's not tough either :wink:

message prog - KiZ - 02-13-2004

I know, even i made one... the hard way... very hard.... extremely hard.

The prog I made connected two computers via COM cables. I ocded the connection software myself, using OUT and INP instead of OPEN COM.

It had a transfer speed of....

.... wait for it.....

2B/s!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh yea!!!!!!!

message prog - TheBigBasicQ - 02-13-2004

Why was it so slow? And why didnt you use open com?

message prog - KiZ - 02-13-2004

1: I didnt know how to use OPEN COM. Smile

2: It was so slow because it had to be perfectly synchronised with the other computer. It worked like this:

first computer: The user is telling me to send a message. I must initiate contact with the other computer: *sends a little handshake symbol (1 byte)* *waits for response*

second computer: lalalalalalaa.... tum tee tum.... oooohh look a handshake has arrived through the cable... lets say hello back so the other computer knows Im listening... *sends a reply handshake back (1 byte)* *waits for size message*

First computer: *Sends size of message in bytes*

second computer: *recieves response*

first computer: I shall send a byte of the message down the cable every 0.7 of a second, or so. That way there is no chance of the computer on the other side missing a byte of the message, and the program freezing cos its waiting for the message to be finished when it really is finished already.

second computer: i know that the first computer will send me a byte every 0.7 of a second, so I must make sure to be waiting for it ***Before*** he sends it so i dont **Miss** it.

*continues until message is sent*