Qbasicnews.com
Possible Windows source code leak - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: General (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General/Misc (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Possible Windows source code leak (/thread-3192.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Possible Windows source code leak - TheBigBasicQ - 02-22-2004

Quote:Mac? Open source? Really?
Linux? Yeah.
Like Oracle said. Precisely. And if they're open source, and someone can gain exploit information from it, it could be bye-bye to all the servers that use Windows NT/2000.

Hehe, Linux has been always open source but the servers that run off it are extremely secure. Where as the Windows source code has been heavily guarded my M$ but they havent been able to secure their own machines. I wonder why 8)

Quote:And whoever is using NT or 2k as a webserver should be taken out and beaten.
Rhia, you have really strong opinions :rotfl: :rotfl:

Possible Windows source code leak - Rhiannon - 02-23-2004

i'm a headstrong woman. I say what i mean.

Possible Windows source code leak - TheBigBasicQ - 02-23-2004

Fine fine. But why are you against people using 2K or NT as webservers?

uhh.....let's see now.....more suspectable to exploits, virus infections, intrusions, all reasons for me to run when i see a windows server. And after being on IRC and seeing thousands upon thousands of bots used for warez and DDOS attacks, I really dont want to have precious info at the disposition of someone that can hack into the machine with a rootkit.

Couldnt have worded it better myself =). So are you just anti NT/2K or pro Linux as well?

Nix on my servers, and windows on my desktop till i find a better one.

For desktop, windows R |_| |_ 3 Z
For server, Linux.

But recently I've come across Lycoris. Its latest version is looking very promising. I havent used it though. But I want to try it. Currenly, I am using a Linux desktop =) and its cool.

Possible Windows source code leak - oracle - 02-23-2004

I get along fine with KDE 3.1.5 (I also whacked 256MB more mem in my box). I can't print, but if I could I would be churning out documents with AbiWord. If I can, I do web development in quanta, and browse with firebird, learn java, upload with gFTP, play Dungeons with telnet... all for free, and very secure. In fact, the only reason I boot into windows these days is to prog in QB or test programs people have uploaded to QBNZ.

Possible Windows source code leak - adosorken - 02-23-2004

For me, Linux on the desktop ended up being just that..."cool". Gnome 2 looked great. Smile But after the "cool" wore off, I was stuck with a subpar OS with very little application support, and virtually NO support for hardcore BASIC programmers. I switched to KDE for a faster desktop, since Gnome was SO bloody slow. But after about a week of fighting with even the simplest of applications, I came to realize that it just wasn't the OS for an "instant gratification" kind of computer user like myself. So, I backed up some files (had to switch CDRW drives, because the one I was using at the time wasn't recognized....another tremendous annoyance) and reinstalled Windows. Never looked back either.

Nek, so you had a bad experience. Its ok. But once you get the hang of it, its a piece of cake =).

Oracle, why cant you print? Linux has so many print services. IMO CUPS is the best and the simplest. I would prefer star office over abiword. Also, I've noticed that M$ puts too many features in their apps. For example I use hardly 5% of the features in microsoft word =(.