Qbasicnews.com
death penalty - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: General (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General/Misc (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: death penalty (/thread-3242.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

death penalty - Diroga - 02-21-2004

The point of execution is that the person is such a risk to society he can no long live. With all crimes they have negative impacts on society. So the criminal is punished so that he will not commit the crime again. So if the objective is to prevent the criminal from committing the crime again, then just remove them from society, not kill them. But what if it is too costly to separate the person(trial, housing, etc). Under most laws the criminal must be keep in humane conditions. So some arguer if the offence is great enough kill them. If the guy is dead he cant commit the crime again. But what if the guy has reformed, really made a 180 with his life, is it right to kill him for what he did?

death penalty - Z!re - 02-21-2004

Quote:The point of execution is that the person is such a risk to society he can no long live.
I'd say that the president (GWB) is a serious risk to society. And I don't think I'm alone on that point, so who do we execute?

It's just plain stupid to kill someone because he killed someone:
Code:
numKills = numKills + 1 'MURDER!!!!!! <----
DO
IF numKills THEN
execute = 1
numKills = numKills - 1
END IF

IF execute THEN
numKills = numKills + 1 'Err? Now what? Justice?
END IF
LOOP UNTIL numKills = 0
PRINT "If we get here it is a Perfect world"

death penalty - Seker359 - 02-21-2004

Kill them all, let God sort them out. :wink:

Just a line from a movie. But seriously...I'm curious what the response would be from some of the anti-death penalty people if they were asked the following...

It's up to you. We either execute Mr Serial Killer or we move him into a house next to yours. What's it going to be?

I bet 99 out of 100 would say the same thing I'd say. Hang'em high.

Personally I don't know what the big deal is. If I was given the choice between execution or life in prison I'd say get it over with quick. Between the two I'd say the execution is actually merciful. I can't imagine being locked up for 50 years with some of the biggest rejects of society.

I'm for death penalty, if it can be made 100% sure, and without any doubt that the person is guilty, as it is now. It is just ridiculous.

death penalty - na_th_an - 02-21-2004

Seker, your question is just fantasy. And the answer doesn't reply a thing. Nobody is gonna put a serial killer next door. They will go to maximum security jails.

Imagine this situation, now: You are out a night with your friends at the country. Then you go for a piss, and while you walk in the dark you stumble with something and you fall upon the corpse of the guy you always fight at school. That same afternoon, in the hockey match, you shouted him in front of 5,000 people that you were gonna kill him 'cause he is such an ass.

Imagine that your beer bottle broke on the fall, and that the guy was killed with another bottle used as a blade. Now you are with a corpse which you promised to kill with tons of little pieces of crystal. You are covered by the victim's blood.

Then someone arrives. You are guilty, by all means, all the evidences point at you. Some time later, you die in the gas chamber.

I know that's a very weirds story, but it can happen. And it has happened.

If instead of the death penalty you were in jail, maybe someday you would have been able to prove your innocence and all you would have lost would be several years, but not your life.

See? Death penalty seems to work well when you assume that "when (s)he looks like guilty, (s)he's guilty". That happened recently in my country. A woman was taken to prison 'cause she killed two girls. Four years later, it has been demonstrated that she was completely innocent. If we had the death penalty, she would have been dead now.

Anyhow, at least in my country, jail is not a punish, but a way to reinsert people in society. I know that's utopic in most cases, but it works here.

Quote:Anyhow, at least in my country, jail is not a punish, but a way to reinsert people in society.

And that's what it's supposed to be in the U.S. but that's not the way it works. Very little is done in the way of rehabilitation. It has become nothing more than a storage facility for offenders. And in a lot of cases people come out of those places more dangerous than when they went in. It's a weekly news item in the U.S. where some offender just got parolled and re-offends immedialely.

Problems with the entire justice system aside, and to the point of the original poster, if they're guilty of a crime worthy of the death penalty then send them on their way with all speed.

Quote:if they're guilty of a crime worthy of the death penalty then send them on their way with all speed.
Who should decide if the crime is "worthy" of death penalty?

Is killing someone "worthy"?

What if someone breaks into my house and I kill them?

What if I drive drunk and kill someone?

What if I neglect to de-ice my driveway and someone slips and dies?

Or, what if I prepeare a dinner, for a party, and someone sufficates? I made the dinner, so I killed him/her?

Where should the line be drawn?, and who should decide?

Quote:Where should the line be drawn?, and who should decide?

Laws are "usually" put in place to reflect the attitudes of society. Put in place by the local, state, or federal government.

death penalty - PlayGGY - 02-21-2004

Quote:Seker, your question is just fantasy. And the answer doesn't reply a thing. Nobody is gonna put a serial killer next door. They will go to maximum security jails.

Imagine this situation, now: You are out a night with your friends at the country. Then you go for a piss, and while you walk in the dark you stumble with something and you fall upon the corpse of the guy you always fight at school. That same afternoon, in the hockey match, you shouted him in front of 5,000 people that you were gonna kill him 'cause he is such an ass.

Imagine that your beer bottle broke on the fall, and that the guy was killed with another bottle used as a blade. Now you are with a corpse which you promised to kill with tons of little pieces of crystal. You are covered by the victim's blood.

Then someone arrives. You are guilty, by all means, all the evidences point at you. Some time later, you die in the gas chamber.

I know that's a very weirds story, but it can happen. And it has happened.

If instead of the death penalty you were in jail, maybe someday you would have been able to prove your innocence and all you would have lost would be several years, but not your life.

See? Death penalty seems to work well when you assume that "when (s)he looks like guilty, (s)he's guilty". That happened recently in my country. A woman was taken to prison 'cause she killed two girls. Four years later, it has been demonstrated that she was completely innocent. If we had the death penalty, she would have been dead now.

Anyhow, at least in my country, jail is not a punish, but a way to reinsert people in society. I know that's utopic in most cases, but it works here.

Nathan, you just finished saying that someone's scenario was hypothetical, and then went on to make the biggest hypothetical I have ever seen.

To those against the death penalty, would you have supported it for Hitler? Or would you have forced tax payers to pay for keeping him clothed and fed?

death penalty - aetherfox - 02-21-2004

I couldn't not post here.

The the main question: Read the bottom after my comments, you might understand where I'm coming from.

Other points raised. Diroga I think it was said monopolistic about schools. Maybe I am wrong, but economically a market that is monopolistic is one where there is one company/body that owns the majority of the market share. Ie. in the UAE there is only one ISP, Etisalat, which belongs to the government. There cannot be another ISP, however that will change soon as the WTO I think said that's got to stop. Schools are not monopolistic ever. There is always going to be more than one school. Schools also have a capacity. Schools cannot be price makers, as monopolies in a market can. Taking Etisalat's example, they can charge say 1 Dh 80 fils (3.678 Dhs to the dollar) per hour of Internet connection or they can charge a hundred. There is no other competition, so the price can be set by them. Schools don't work like that. Even if the best school sets the price as high as it wants, there will always be a school that will have students in it, and maybe its cheaper, and maybe its grades are better.

Other things. Should Hitler recieve the death penalty? I can't answer that. He didn't personally kill all those people, but it was because of him. What happened to the Jews that I saw on videos and documentaries as a little kid gave me nightmares. However, he gave preWW2 Germany the boost they needed. With unemployment soaring, inflation topping, economy in insane recession, he did what it took to get his country back, even if he failed. Millions of Germans agreed with him. Were they wrong?

It's selfish at times, and unappropriate to make judgements like this. This is the age-old argument, and it will never stop. Evaluating a situation like this means too many sides to the story. Should someone die? Well nobody has the right. Well the family of the murdered child won't get justice. But they are being immoral. But its wrong. But so is killing someone anyway. etc.etc.

There's a lot more I had to say, but it slipped.

*disappears*