Qbasicnews.com
What computer *first* lead you into doing BASIC programming? - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: General (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General/Misc (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: What computer *first* lead you into doing BASIC programming? (/thread-3279.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

What computer *first* lead you into doing BASIC programming? - Adigun A. Polack - 02-22-2004

Dearest, DEAREST all of the QB45/QB71 community,

A MOST SPLENDID new and coming week to all of you. Big Grin !!

Since this is a QBasicNews.com forumboard, I want to bring up something **rather** interesting for all of you, so get prepared now! Wink Let us go back in time into memory lane of what computer FIRST got you started out on the road into BASIC programming (if you can, think back now to your possible childhood on this one! Cool ! ). It would be quite amazing for your answers to be spoken here, as I am sharing with you something no less than special, actually! ;*) !!

Thank you all so much, and *please*, be sure to stay within the topic, okay? See you once again!! Big Grin !

BRINGING BACK SOME OF THE FONDEST MEMORIES,

Adigun Azikiwe Polack
One of the Founders of “Aura Flow”
Continuing Developer of “Frantic Journey”
Current Developer of “Star Angelic Slugger”

What computer *first* lead you into doing BASIC programming? - Seker359 - 02-22-2004

TRS-80 Pocket Computer - Model 1.

Look here: http://oldcomputers.net/trs80pc1.html

What computer *first* lead you into doing BASIC programming? - Plasma - 02-22-2004

IBM PS/1 Consultant...came bundled with "IBM QBasic" Smile

What computer *first* lead you into doing BASIC programming? - Zack - 02-22-2004

Never used BASIC. Just QB. Smile Pentium I with Win95.

What computer *first* lead you into doing BASIC programming? - SCM - 02-22-2004

A Timex Sinclair 1000. It had 2k of memory and a membrane keyboard. If you wanted to save anything, you connected it to an audio cassette recorder.

My dad bought it for my nephew and asked me to type in a BASIC program for a game from a magazine. After I did that, I had to try making changes and see what happened.

What computer *first* lead you into doing BASIC programming? - Rhiannon - 02-22-2004

Quote:Never used BASIC. Just QB. Smile Pentium I with Win95.

Uhh....if youre using Qb, you are obviously using BASIC :roll:

I’ll tell you the computer that first inspired me for BASIC. - Adigun A. Polack - 02-22-2004

To all of you:

As for what my inspiration of a computer is that *FIRST* lead me into the world BASIC programming, I can remember WAY back into my very childhood from the mid-1980s that that thing has got to be the ORIGINAL TRS-80 home computer from Radio Shack. I mean, it (and the pocket version of the same computer itself that Seker359 has said earlier in this thread) is a CLASSIC, rare, and even long-forgotten breed of one, let me tell you! I have used it as the main 100% foundation of my _VERY FIRST_ start to the world of BASIC programming and computer programming as well!! Big Grin ! It was at that time an *excellent* computer to me for that reason, even though the graphics there were rather primitive and obsolete now by today’s standards as compared to the time that the computer first looked back in the 1980s! Wink

Since then, I have moved on to such other computers as the Apple IIe, Atari 400, Commodore VIC-20, IBM PCjr, Laser 386/25mhz, two Packard Bell computers (one a 486/66mhz, the other a Pentium-based one), and now currently, the great Pionex “Pentium III”-based computer with 450mhz and a ton more hot features!!! ;*) !!!

It is *QUITE* so amazing what even a little technology can do for you, huh? (It’s like, “WHOA, I gotta check that one out! :o !”) Thank you all again, and let us continue to relive some greatly awesome memories!!! Cool !!

DELIVERING TO YOU SOME OF MY OWN PERSONAL DISCOVERIES,

Adigun Azikiwe Polack
One of the Founders of “Aura Flow”
Continuing Developer of “Frantic Journey”
Current Developer of “Star Angelic Slugger”

What computer *first* lead you into doing BASIC programming? - oracle - 02-22-2004

The pentium II's in computer studies at school Wink

Last year Wink Wink

Re: I’ll tell you the computer that first inspired me for BA - Seker359 - 02-22-2004

Quote:Since then, I have moved on to such other computers as the

Ditto here, it's been a long line of computers since my TRS-80 Pocket Computer (PC?).

TRS-80 Color Computer. 4k of RAM but only 2.3k actually usable. Hooked up to my TV and a tape player.

Apple ][e, I remember thinking "Geez, 64k of RAM...I could never use that much". Turns out that before I stopped using the old Apple I was writing basic programs that would use up all that memory.

Amiga 500 and then Amiga 1200, talk about peaking early. More than a decade of development later I'm still trying to find a Wintel machine that could do everything my beloved Amigas could do with barely a fraction of the resources. I also got my first modem at this time for local BBSs and then the first pre-WWW, text only internet connections. All of 1200 and then 2400 baud before moving up to a godlike 14400 baud.

After that, starting with a AMD-133 mhz and Windows 95, begins a long cycle of home built machines ending in a machine I originally put together in 2000. AMD Thunderbird 900 mhz that has been modestly updated since its original build with more memory, new video card, and Windows XP.

And through it all I've been using basic. MS Basic, Applesoft, Amigabasic, Qbasic, and Visual Basic.

What computer *first* lead you into doing BASIC programming? - adosorken - 02-22-2004

September 10th, 1984. Hartland Elementary School, Hartland, Vermont USA. Our school got funded for new computers, and at the time the best computers were Commodore 64s. So I became a computer junkie immediately. Smile Learned BASIC and some 6502 assembly. Fun stuff. Smile