Qbasicnews.com
I need help learning MATH! - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: General (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General/Misc (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: I need help learning MATH! (/thread-3909.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

I need help learning MATH! - Hellbound - 05-08-2004

Math = Satan to me. Is there any site that will teach me algebra and math basic concepts so I can take Calculus in college. I'm failing Algebra 2/Trig right now, and I hate math. I need help Cry .

I need help learning MATH! - speedlemon - 05-08-2004

learning math takes time and practice. you cant just say you wanna learn it, and learn it. here, i found this site.http://www.algebrahelp.com/index.jsp

I need help learning MATH! - Rhiannon - 05-08-2004

If i'm not mistaken, sparknotes.com has some quick books that can teach you math concepts. I'll look it up and give you an exact link, but it's at that webpage.

Found it: http://www.sparknotes.com/math/ It takes you thru everything starting with prealgebra, and has examples and a message board you can visit. Hope this helps.

I need help learning MATH! - aetherfox - 05-08-2004

Maths has always been pretty easy for me (I've just done P1 from AS and some of P2). Algebra and Trig come easily...if you want I'm willing to help you out.

I've never found sites adequete when I needed the help.
Amazon (.com/.co.uk) have good revision guides...you'll have to fork out some money...but sometimes they might have some used copies up there. Make sure to check for the correct syllabus.

I am confused, are you trying to pass an entrance test or is this some exam for schooling?

Anyway catch me on MSN, or even here...programmers are all awesome mathematitians by nature, so there will be someone here to help you out.

I need help learning MATH! - Hellbound - 05-09-2004

I always didn't do good for math, but when I got to college I have to take Calculus I,II, III for a Bio major if I go to WashU. Other Universitys might just require one and two.

I need help learning MATH! - Moneo - 05-09-2004

Hi, I had a math discussion with this person called Dr. Math a few months ago and found him very knowledgeable. I you need someone th talk to by mail, you might want to contact him.
dr.math@mathforum.org

I need help learning MATH! - Zack - 05-09-2004

Once you grasp basic algebra, you accelerate...I remember at first just not getting it. Once I learned the basics such as elimination, it all came flowing after that.
And trig - a lot of it is just remembering stuff like the cosine law (6 equations, or 1 if you're masochistic). Simple trig such as COS/SIN/TAN (and they're arc counterparts) is very easy once you grasp the idea of a ratio of sides on a triangle. Just remember SOHCAHTOA: Sine: Opposite Over Hypotenuse. Cosine: Adjacent Over Hypotenuse. Tangent: Opposite Over Adjacent.

I need help learning MATH! - speedlemon - 05-09-2004

Quote:Once you grasp basic algebra, you accelerate...I remember at first just not getting it. Once I learned the basics such as elimination, it all came flowing after that.
And trig - a lot of it is just remembering stuff like the cosine law (6 equations, or 1 if you're masochistic). Simple trig such as COS/SIN/TAN (and they're arc counterparts) is very easy once you grasp the idea of a ratio of sides on a triangle. Just remember SOHCAHTOA: Sine: Opposite Over Hypotenuse. Cosine: Adjacent Over Hypotenuse. Tangent: Opposite Over Adjacent.
woah! zack your really smart for a 13 year old. probably because thats why your such a good programmer. i dont know that much. im in algebra. but i dont know all the stuff about cos/sin/tan. well i bet you'll be really successful in life.

I need help learning MATH! - Zack - 05-09-2004

The reason I'm doing higher math than most my age is that schools force kids into a regiment, and either consider them normal, disabled, or gifted. That's stupid. Once you tell a kid they're "learning disabled," they won't try. If you tell them they're gifted, they're turn they're nose up. However if you get taught on a one-to-one level (aka being taught stuff like math at home) then you get to ask all the questions, feel comfortable doing the stuff, and you aren't regimented and forced into a schedule. It's the whole "kids should be seen and not heard" mentality coming out.
Oh, before anybody gets the wrong idea - I don't agree with "homeschooling." I agree with what's generally called "unschoooling." Homeschooling is just basically going to school except being one-on-one with your parent (that is, following the tried, tested and untrue curriculum). Unschooling is physically *not* being in school, but rather being loose, not having to wake up at 7:00 AM, doing what you want for most of the day. The results? Nicer, less snobbier, and more advanced (for their age) kids.

I need help learning MATH! - na_th_an - 05-09-2004

Yeah, but not everybody can afford that. And not every child will accept to study maths and stuff like that without obligations.

Plus, in my country children *have* to go to school. Primary school is obligatory for everyone.