Qbasicnews.com
Opinion on war? - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: General (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General/Misc (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Opinion on war? (/thread-455.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Opinion on war? - na_th_an - 03-23-2003

Ok, the problem is not that India, Pakistan and China have nukes, the problem is that nukes exist. USA also has nukes, and I fear those nukes as much as I fear India's, Pakistan's or China's. So you pretend that only USA is smart and/or responsible enough to have nukes, and the other countries are the "bad guys" and are not allowed to have nukes. Nukes outside USA are dangerous; nukes in USA are to protect freedom... What a bummer.

Life is not a cartoon. Nukes are as dangerous in the hands of China as they are in the hands of Bush. Defcon descends quite fast with any stupid offense.

Opinion on war? - _Bill_ - 03-23-2003

Nukes are just like guns. They are only dangerous when you are not careful with them.

Opinion on war? - toonski84 - 03-24-2003

nukes are not like guns. a nuke is the most terrible, devasting weapon man has created. there are thousands of gun accidents of year. a thousand people die. life goes on. but a nuke kills everything around it for 90 miles. thousands, millions of people will die if a single nuclear bomb goes off. even if it goes off in the sahara desert with no one around, it will cause cancer as the fallout cloud moves across the land. over half the world has soaked up radiation from nuclear accidents in russia in the 80s, and people in eastern europe still have double the cancer rate where the fallout clouds fell.

no one has the right to use or own a nuclear bomb, but i'm glad that the united states does over other nations. having invented the bomb, in its development we killed many people, many soldiers and many american civilians. we witnessed its awesome power and knew the damage it can do, and bastards or not, the people in power know what it does. same goes for russia, and most of the major european nations. what i am worried about, though, are nations like north korea and others who have simply obtained the bomb. i dont know about their leaders but i have a terrible feeling, due to the fact that the united states has already been publicly threatened by the north korean leader, that they dont understand the terrible carnage of such a bomb. that scares me.

if there was a way, i'd gladly destroy every pound of weapons-grade uranium on the planet. we dont need it to power our cities, other types of nuclear material work that cannot be turned into bombs.

Opinion on war? - oracle - 03-24-2003

If you all have such a strong anti-nuke stance, you should come live in New Zealand. We are nuclear free!

ps: whose gonna waste a nuke on little old us anyways?

pps: our navy has three frigates. That's all!!! We'd be easy to invade without using nukes, and our isolation means not too much radiation.

Opinion on war? - na_th_an - 03-24-2003

Quote:[...]We are nuclear free![...]

We are also nuclear-free in Spain (well, if you take appart power plants)... Thanks god.

We don't even have nuclear power plants! We use geothermal power and hydro power, and the rest is oil-fired I think. We got in a whole lot of sh*t with the US because we wouldn't let them bring their nuke boats into our harbours. Someone even bombed a greenpeace ship because they were so annoyed with us!

I'd get out while you can nathan, lots of nukes in your area, even if not in your country. You can't choose your neighbours if you stay at home...

Opinion on war? - wizardlife - 03-24-2003

Quote:I'd get out while you can nathan, lots of nukes in your area, even if not in your country. You can't choose your neighbours if you stay at home...

Isn't that somewhat paranoid?

I'm not concerned if Western countries have nukes. The rulers of those nations are elected officials for whome their positions will be removed long before they were able launch a nuclear warhead... Can Bush just order a nuke missile on Ottawa? No. It would be vetoed six times before it left the Oval Office.

But third world countries with mad dictators in charge might just be willing to go down in a blaze of glory in exchange for nuking San Francisco or London...

Or Madrid....

Opinion on war? - _Bill_ - 03-24-2003

Ok I should have said fissile material. What about the space program? How do expect to make energy in space? Through osmosis? Solar panels work for a time but don't work in the dark however fissile material is perfect for the job. Example: Take a thermopile with an exothermic response and put some said fissile material and you have electricity. Iam still waiting for a watch with Tritium dial illumination. Trituim is also an isotope of hydrogen used in H-Bombs.
BTW did anyone know that the sun and all stars use a reaction similar if not the same as an H-Bomb?

Opinion on war? - toonski84 - 03-24-2003

the epitomy of energy is antimatter: 100% efficiency. however, they can only produce about 2 antimatter atoms per hour. which is a wee slow for powering a city.

there are fission (i'm guessing that's what you're trying to say) materials that are not weapons grade. i forget the name of it, but every reactor in japan made since 1996 is incapable of creating a nuclear blast.