Qbasicnews.com
freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: General (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General/Misc (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. (/thread-4948.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - v3cz0r - 11-05-2004

First, i (v1ctor) never said it was going to be *100%* compatible, i said "the most compatible possible", what is quite different.

I said that i wasn't going to write the QB GFX stuff, doesn't mean FB won't have them - hey, that's the spirit of open-source, anybody will be able to contribute writing any missing "feature", if i (as the project maintainer) accept the changes - later, if you guys don't agree with my ideas, you can even fork the project, it's up to you, that's the joy of OSS.

Wanting a QB program with loads of DEF SEG's and CALL ABSOLUTE's to work without a single source-code change is like wanting to compile with VC++/GCC a C source with loads of DOS int calls, ASM blocks and absolute far addresses, it ain't going to happen, so we can say VC++ sucks? nah..

"Emulating" DEF SEG would screw up PEEK and POKE at the point that it would be faster running a 16-bit QB's executable on a DOS emulator.. that isn't what i want, sorry. C'mon, are we programmers or what, changing 3 or 4 lines of code commenting/deleting unsupported statements or exchanging them with new ones won't kill anyone.. i had to rewrite FB's symbol table module 2 or 3 times in these last 2 months, and it's 2K+ lines long and hey, i still alive.. i think..

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Jofers - 11-05-2004

.... or are you? I see dead people (they walk around like regular people, they don't know they're dead).

and I'm obviously not a real programmer. I mean, I'm posting on a forum dedicated to an archaic 1988 interpreter that serves more purpose as a toy than a tool, while I pander for, nay, demand features in my new toy but throwing forth no effort to actually participate, or compensate in any way, shape or form.
-----
EDIT: I lied. I was bored doing some graphics for QB45 so I decided to play with an FB icon/logo:

[Image: icons.gif]

Buut, after I finished one I got sick of it, and added some mascots (Cuby, since he's the closest thing to a QB mascot, and Jesus, because he's everyon'e favorite party guy). I guess I could draw anything if you picked it, really, so there you go..

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - VonGodric - 11-05-2004

Quote:.... or are you? I see dead people (they walk around like regular people, they don't know they're dead).

and I'm obviously not a real programmer. I mean, I'm posting on a forum dedicated to an archaic 1988 interpreter that serves more purpose as a toy than a tool, while I pander for, nay, demand features in my new toy but throwing forth no effort to actually participate, or compensate in any way, shape or form.
Hey!
Relax, it's gonna change soon, beside some people here on the forum know more about programming and stuff then even people who work for big companies as a proffession programmers. And that says smth!

(not talking about myself)

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - ShadowWolf - 11-05-2004

a backwords compatibly lib could easily made as a LIB after FB is released so we can compile some of the classic pure qb games.

when i made the post about peek i wasn't think a true peek and poke just a wraper for it most people used peek to write directly to vedio mem so simple having a presdo peek command act as a linear pixle plot command and use def seg as a check to make shure the peek is being used that way if it isn't then peek doesn't work and error message can pop up.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - marzecTM - 11-06-2004

yeah, that peek and poke would definitely suck since it would involve a lot of boundschecking...

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - v3cz0r - 11-06-2004

Jofers, what can i say.. heh

But forget Jesus, FB's mascot is a horse, goshdamnit! ;) Check out my bad design at: http://freebasic.bad-logic.com/ , 5 minutes of CorelDraw (see, the "A" is smiling, i think i will ® that).

Heh..

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Nexinarus - 11-06-2004

Haha Jofers nice images. Likes the Angelo/wetspot one Wink. Jesus one is comical. i did some touch ups...

[Image: angelo-horse.png]

[Image: epic-horse.png]

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Jofers - 11-06-2004

Heh, I can see I'm not needed then. Nice design Smile If you need that put to markup, I can probably help out. I've been needing somesort of image for BASIC programming for QB45. That all depends on if I even end up using BASIC (We're making QB the only language for starters until we pick up the pace). I guess I'll have to find some kind of visual representation of C now Tongue

EDIT: Haha. Jesus on horseback. I put Cuby on his shoulder and we have a winner Smile
EDIT 2: Actually, now we have a winner:
[Image: icons2.gif]

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - barok - 11-06-2004

your right, it doesn't need graphical functions or poke or peek. Wouldn't mind seeing a lib that can allow old qb graphical program to run though. Wink after all, who'd need poke peek pset put or any of that stuff when there's allegro?

still, my wishlist is now a lib that'll support qb graphical commands and poke/peek. Just so i can see Frontier as win32. Big Grin

I never get tired of that demo. Big Grin

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - v3cz0r - 11-06-2004

Didn't see that OOP question, well, when function pointers were added, things will be more close to fake-OO, like you can do with C, now about real classes with inheritance and function overloading/overhiding, won't be too simple to add - nor a simple PRINT is easy to add anyway.

Leave my horse logo alone, damnit. Btw, it was borrowed from clipart.com, please, don't tell them.