Qbasicnews.com
freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: General (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General/Misc (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. (/thread-4948.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - barok - 11-08-2004

It looks really cool Jofers!

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - KiZ - 11-08-2004

That looks cool, but i was maybe suggesting allowing the users to include their own icon when they compile the program.... or did you understand that?

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - v3cz0r - 11-08-2004

Well, it's Windows, you can include whatever resource you want into an executable, but as LD (GNU's linker) is not a Windows-only app, it doesn't handle .res (Windows' compiled resource files) directly, so you need:

1) create a resource script file (.rc), by hand or using a resource editor (M$ has a free one, i'll probably include it)

2) compile the .rc to .res using a resource compiler, like GNU's windres (will be included too)

3) convert the .res to .obj, using GNU's res2coff (ditto), so ld (GNU linker) can load it

An IDE like VB does all that behind your back, but the process isn't that hard to do by hand.

That icon looks better than mine Jofers, and i used the original in vector format.. CorelDraw sucks.. or it was just me, dunno.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Jofers - 11-08-2004

Your icon was a wierd resolutoin, like 31x25. I made about 5 images: 48x48 /w anti-aliasing, 32x32 /w anti-aliasing, 16x16 /w anti-aliasing, 32x32 /w 256colors, and 16x16 /w 16 colors, and stuffed them all into one ico file with some crappy free icon utility. 48x48 is the standard for "big" icons in Windows, 32x32 for normal, and 16x16 for those really tiny ones in the top left corner.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - na_th_an - 11-09-2004

This sound pretty interesting.

Once it's released, I offer myself to write an adaptation for Allegro (I mean, the .BI files and stuff).

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Sterling Christensen - 11-09-2004

It seems there's another freebasic.

That's a geocities page that belongs to a "Rick Elbers" (touchwind [AT] geocities.com) and it's the first google result for "freebasic" (but this qbasicnews forum thread is #3 and catching up fast Big Grin)

So it looks like the name is (or *was*) taken, sort-of. The page looks abandoned and it's clear they weren't even close to a prototype let alone a release.

Here is an alt.lang.basic.compiler FAQ that mentions "the FreeBasic project" and links to the above geocities page, but it's 5 years old.

So I think it's safe to assume the name is ok to use, but I think you might want to mention (maybe in a FAQ entry or something) that it's not the same freebasic... or is it?

Both old and new were to be/are originally written in qb (although C++ and xbasic were being pursued as well, apparently), and the original freebasic project was free/open, so anybody is free to revive it...

v3cz0r, is that why you picked the name freebasic, or is this just a coincidence? :lol: Is there any connection between the old and new freebasic?

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - v3cz0r - 11-09-2004

Yeah, i saw that, it's a defunct project, i wouldn't call vapoware as software so... And no, i've nothing to do with them and you can be sure that site will the listed on Google's results in the +10th page soon ;)

As i said in this same thread, i tried other names, all taken.. [somenamehere]BASIC seems to be really common :P

Allegro would be awesome, there are a quite a lot of headers to translate, iir.. anyway, any contribution is welcome.

Only QB file stuff is missing to get the compiler to compile itself.. marzec wrote the rtlib for it, now i got add them to the parser.. i tried compiling some modules already (that don't use any file functions), parsing was okay and assembler didn't complain.. lets see if i can get it running til this weekend..

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - na_th_an - 11-09-2004

Excellent job Smile As soon as the first beta is released, I'll be working on Allegro.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Jofers - 11-09-2004

I could throw down a header or two for something, if there's brute manual labor to be neaded... It's just a bunch of SUB declarations and CONSTs, right?

There's a lot of "inline" functions and defines. That's the tricky part, I guess. We could organize a small team to port Allegro. It would be nifty that another team would port SDL.