Qbasicnews.com
freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: General (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General/Misc (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. (/thread-4948.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Jofers - 11-11-2004

Yeah. Most people are command-line-phobics. People in my hall were astounded when they found out I was doing my java homework from the commandline, and not with netBeans for something like that. And that's Java, which is about as difficult to compile as eating a delicious sandwich, for lack of a witty metaphor.

I know that when I started QB nearly a decade ago, I would've browned my pants at the thought of programming without my happy blue IDE.

My only wish is documentation. And I mean language documentation. BASIC lacks any kind of standard, like what C has, with most compilers just copying some loose form of QB (I've yet to see one compiler's code work with another).

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Plasma - 11-11-2004

Nice, easy-to-use IDEs attract noobs. Which is probably why there is a QB "community" in the first place. However, the most important part of a compiler is the compiler. Worry about the IDE later.

As far as standards go, BASIC does have a few.

ANSI Standard for Minimal BASIC (X3.60-1978)
ANSI Standard for Full BASIC (X3.113-1987)
ISO Standard for Minimal BASIC (ISO 6373:1984 Data processing - Programming languages - Minimal BASIC)
ISO Standard for Full BASIC (ISO/IEC 10279:1991 Information technology - Programming languages - Full BASIC)

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Jofers - 11-11-2004

....aaand which ones does FreeBasic follow?

Everyone is a "noob" once, as moronic as that word is, and I guess in the cosmic sense we're all "noobs". I swear, it's the like "B" in BASIC stands for "beginner" or some dumb thing.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Plasma - 11-11-2004

I haven't personally used FB, but if it's 99% compatible with QB syntax, then it should follow all of them.

In case I was unclear before, noobs are a good thing when you're trying to get a large user base.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - marzecTM - 11-11-2004

i guess as long as fb is not compatible with qb, there's hardly a chance to beat qb on that sector, cause it's things like PSET, BEEP and the like that makes qb attractive for beginners and it don't think that v3c will add all of this to the runtimelib on his own...

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - ShadowWolf - 11-11-2004

marzecTM writting a wraper to handle QB basic primative GFX fucations would be a jock to do. or simple just use somthing like Rel wraper for TinyPTC.

so have a simplistic GFX lib for beginners will attracted beginners to FB as long as it get's include with one of the release packages and there good Instruction on how to use it i.e. idoted proof. also good documantion on using the command line compiler is going to be need.

And a IDE is a must later on to get complete programming newbies into the FB community you wouldn't belive how many people are scared to use Command line.

also the new FB community that will form will most likely be made up of the QB community at first then we could steal people from the PowerBasic community , DarkBasic and blitzBasic communitys at the same time getting people in from our base Qb community.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - BinarySHOCK - 11-11-2004

Ya prolly like 85% of the base qb qmunity Tongue

i'd say a good IDE is a must later on aswell, i tend to prefer compilers that have them, altho i'm not scared of the command line by any means (use it quite frequently actually) Wink

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - L_O_J - 11-11-2004

ummm for the IDE ,why not just modify DevC++ IDE ? I mean it open source and very mature IDE (although for C++).

My problem with dev-c++ is that it's a little too featureful. Too bloated, with projects and wizards and tabs and frames and whatnot. A syntax-colored notepad with *one* row of buttons, but all the same features should be a goal, with may be a thin compiler message frame at the bottom that can be removed. The more fluff there is the more that can confuse the user. Besides, an FBasic ide could be nifty (Think, GUI)

It's not a *bad* idea, though, but I can be fanciful and stingy about the ide while no one's actually working on it.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - marzecTM - 11-11-2004

devc++ is buggy as hell, i would stay away from that. if nobodies writing an ide, i guess i'll do it with a friend of mine, the minimum requierments aren't really hard to implement so...

but maybe there's a vb guru out there that is able to do that in a day or something heh..