Qbasicnews.com
freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: General (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General/Misc (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. (/thread-4948.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - aetherfox - 11-13-2004

Frankly I don't see what the whole cross-platform argument is here. The majority (I'm talking the huge majority) of people who will use freebasic will be Windows users. The few people who will be Linux users will most likely have dual boot. So why waste your time writing proper cross-platform code in a language that makes it about as hard as it can be to write GUI applications as possible? It would have half the functionality, probably not be sexy looking.

VB was designed for this task, and for the Windows user, nothing else could be better. C/C++ was not designed for GUI dev.

Nek, I agree with you. All people think they have done something great when they write a half-assed program in C++ and think its better than a functional and fully featured VB one simply because its C++.

I think the official IDE should definatley be written in VB, and I go as far as to say it would be downright stupid not to.
If someone has the urge to write an IDE that will work in Linux, Windows, Mac, Solaris, X, Y and Z, then by all means, go ahead, but don't hamper progress for the proper one. It's an open source project, so write your own one on the side.

As for the argument about the executables...well almost every computer has the runtime library. VB produces puny runtimes...I wrote a text encryption program and encapsulated it into only 40kb. That is really small.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Plasma - 11-13-2004

FB roxors your boxors.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - v3cz0r - 11-13-2004

Heh, nice, i love chiptunes, but, now, gimme that bassmod.bi, you!!!1 ;)

See rel, now your FB gfx demos can have music playing in the background :)

Anyway, FB compiled in VBDOS can compile the 32-bit version of itself, but that 32-bit version can't yet re-compile itself, if you know what i mean, hmm.. added some debugging support, so lets see if it helps..

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - marzecTM - 11-13-2004

i shall kneel down and praise the almighty vb...

wtf? oh yeah, just because the exe is small it's good hehe. you never read the compiler manual do you? have a look at the gcc manual and proof me that you can make tinier exes then it does with vb

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Jofers - 11-13-2004

Nice v1c. Plasmer: I wish my sound card was working Sad

Wow. I did not expect my comments to churn either some existing dispute over Visual Basic or some assumptions of assumptions of assumptions of the language, or whatever. So, uh, lemme pass a few things on to you guys:

1) I never said anything bad about VB other than the fact that it's not cross-platform, and can't be ported easily, which is not opinion but fact. Well, maybe the latter is opinion, but it's a valid opinion. That doesn't make it a children's language, nor does it make it an limited language. I have and still use Visual Basic when I need to, really, I'm better at it than C++. I haven't even presented a half-assed C++ program as superior, I'm waiting until later to do that. It's like calling Ghandi a bigot, I'm really not concerned with language preference.

2) The reason I suggested C, Java, or FB is because FB's runtime is portable, which means it has the potential to be cross-platform in the future. If that turns out to be true, you'd have to rewrite the entire IDE if it wasn't portable. AethorFox pointed out that a majority of users will be Windows-based, and his point is duly noted. Marzec pointed out that FB is not yet ready for GUI programming, also duly noted.

3) Really, I'm not the boss of you. Really! You can make it in MATLAB, and there's not a darned thing I could do about it. When I make a suggestion, you don't have to follow it, so you don't have to protest it. "Thanks, but I'm still doing it with [insert language here] because [insert reason here]" would've sufficed. Wink But somewhere that just turned oogly.

4) Clean code is still a good idea, if you use VB or anything else. I don't know how that got thrown back at me.

5) If you've been reading closely, I've been describing conTEXT with syntax checking. Really, it's a good editor, as Rel says. But much in the vein of Google, things are much cooler when branded.

Blah. I leave the forum for a day, and a flame-war gets started. Just when I think I'm out, they keep pulling me back in...

AAAnyways, when is Wildcard going to make a FB forum already? I'm back in the mood for some:
Quote:pander for, nay, demand features in my new toy but throwing forth no effort to actually participate, or compensate in any way, shape or form.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - adosorken - 11-13-2004

Hehehe Jofers...tis the nature of "language loyalty" man Big Grin Well, everyone has their loyalties I reckon. Smile

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - marzecTM - 11-13-2004

ha i again forgot about the smilies Smile Wink or whatever. should start to use them, hey jofers nothing was meant seriously. no flamewar here... peace and stuff

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - ShadowWolf - 11-13-2004

v3cz0r so you got vbdos beta version to compile the 32bit version of the compiler yet the 32bit compiler can't compile the it's own source ?

man that's waked. most likely somthing small and stuped that causing the problem

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - relsoft - 11-13-2004

Nice Plaz!!!

Check this out...

http://quickhost.qbtk.com/download.php?id=318

v1c: Trig + floats work like hot knife on butter. :*)

Let me be the very first to say something about this demo. - Adigun A. Polack - 11-13-2004

To Richard Eric M. Lope (Relsoft):

Well my man, I have just checked out your latest creation today at 1:20-1:25am EST — called your moving water trail graphics demo — for the current FreeBasic (FB) project. At first, it did not even show up clearly on a Laser monitor from 1992, so I had to temporarily switch monitors to a Pionex one (I currently have two working computer monitors at hand here), and that second one showed the thing more clearly and it came up with something that goes like this:

[Image: RelWater.png]

WOW!!! Are you the king or what!? Big Grin !! That demo is not just awesome, it is PHENOMENAL, I must say!!! Man, if you would implement some sort of a RelLib-like wrapper even as soon as FB finally releases with an IDE, I’d be in a game-programming heaven already myself!! Wink=b !

Great having you here this morning, Eric, and catch you around again!! Peace!!! Cool

WISHING YOU MY HEARTY CONGRATULATIONS ON THIS EXCELLENT LITTLE GEM OF A DEMO,

[Image: AAPname.gif]
Adigun Azikiwe Polack
One of the Founders of “Aura Flow”
Continuing Developer of “Frantic Journey”
Current Developer of “Star Angelic Slugger”
Webmaster of the “AAP Official Projects Squad”