Qbasicnews.com
freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: General (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General/Misc (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. (/thread-4948.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Plasma - 11-14-2004

yes.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Jofers - 11-14-2004

Certain video cards have trouble with screen 0? Man, what a lousy video card.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - adosorken - 11-14-2004

It seems that NVIDIA cards with MX chipsets have a problem with setting the video palette at entries 16-31 in textmode. I've seen the problem on my own GF4 MX4400, and someone with a GF2 MX440 (I believe this was the card) also reported the same problem. Other people have also reported problems with this (this is because the BMP routines of Useless Sock use this console palette trick). It works fine on my own NVIDIA TNT2 Pro 64 though, and on most other video cards that have been reported.

It's annoying as hell though....c'mon, it's TEXTMODE!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - relsoft - 11-14-2004

Quote:You're getting there, good job.

Rel...anychance of sticking some VSync in there somewhere? That screenie looks gorgeous...

Haven't made a windowed mode for h2o yet but here's another one:

http://quickhost.qbtk.com/download.php?id=319

Random naive questions - dilettante - 11-14-2004

I didn't want to pollute a pristine forum with a new thread, so...

I don't see a lot of discussion about ActiveX or general COM support. Is this a future addition, not part of the FreeBASIC vision at all, or have I just missed it?

Is this compiler primarily targeted at game development? Lots of talk about graphics and sound, darned little about file I/O, database access, or IPC mechanisms above the Winsock level.

Are we looking at a simple "component model" based on static library linking and regular classless Win32 DLLs?

Please don't take any of these questions as deprecating the accomplishment. To begin with it sounds like a wonderful achievement in itself. I also understand the desire to have (essentially) a 32-bit QB/PDS, and I can relate to considerations of possible ports to Linux and/or the BSDs down the road. For the rest of my list, there is always the future.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Jofers - 11-14-2004

Well, it's being discussed by a bunch of QB fans, who have sort of taken a compiler meant for quick business applications and turned it into a gaming tool. You can expect a lot of games on the horizons.

But it can take in, like you said, any classless DLL if the header is in FB, so you can do pretty much anything (that doesn't require objects Big Grin). There are some file IO routines in the runtime (obviously, because FB compiled itself), but I'd need to check it out before I give any assessment.

Rel, that demo is gorgeous. You need to start entering some of those coding contests, and show 'em that 2d demos are still cool Big Grin

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - KiZ - 11-14-2004

Quote:Haven't made a windowed mode for h2o yet but here's another one:

http://quickhost.qbtk.com/download.php?id=319

Tongue My jaw is still hanging off my mouth. That is so damn beautiful. I actually mean Beautiful, man!

Whats that effect called? And where did you learn to do that!?

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Marcade - 11-14-2004

Wow V1ctor. And I thought DSock was the greatest thing ever happened to QB .. but if you actually finish this, I guess it will take it's place.

You really must love QB. :-X

Anyway. What I noticed while running relsoft's extremely pretty demo was, my CPU going to 100%

One of my biggest problems with the old QB45 is that when I run a program, it takes 100% of the CPU, no matter what it's doing.

How is this going to be in FreeBASIC? (I guess it will not do that). Are you planning to implement some other features around CPU usage?

And I also strongly agree with .. (forgot the person's nick) .. about the documentation thing. Good documentation is very important. :o

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Blitz - 11-14-2004

It's just a normal windows application. Windows determines how much cpu power it should get. So really, it has nothing to do with freebasic.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - aetherfox - 11-14-2004

That would be me, bitchin about the documentation over and over.

MAKE IT GOOD.

Now, Rel. That demo.
What? How? When? Why? Who?

That was unreal. Absolutely amazing.
Start programming in an FPS counter, like if the user presses Space the counter comes alive in the corner.

dark_prevail had the correct line of questions.

You need to write a series of tutorials on graphical effects specifically for FreeBASIC. I'm talking this magical one, the one you did before (h2o), plasmas, fire etc. It will be really good, and it will also get people accustomed with interfacing with graphics through FB.

Good job.