Qbasicnews.com
freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: General (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General/Misc (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. (/thread-4948.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - adosorken - 11-14-2004

I can probably assist with documentation. Documentation is an obsession for me, kinda like it was for Nazi Germany. Big Grin

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Jofers - 11-14-2004

While I wouldn't say it's a Nazi obsession, a good documentation goes a long way with me as well. If you need qboho for fb, gimme a ring.

Hell, it's been long overdue for me to replaced the IE-only character sets in qboho with nice unicode and a cgi backend.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - v3cz0r - 11-14-2004

Quote:I don't see a lot of discussion about ActiveX or general COM support. Is this a future addition, not part of the FreeBASIC vision at all, or have I just missed it?

I don't plan adding any support for COM and ActiveX, for that you must add Variant data types, what means the compiler would be dependent on the Win API (ole32 dll's), and i don't want that, sorry.

Quote:Is this compiler primarily targeted at game development? Lots of talk about graphics and sound, darned little about file I/O, database access, or IPC mechanisms above the Winsock level.

Well, it's BASIC, games are the first target, i guess.. but as a the compiler won't have any new intrinsic functions to do only expecific tasks and as you can use any shared/static 32-bit library (non OO only), you can for example use MySQL or such db, if the C headers are ported. File statements will be the same as in QB.

Quote:Anyway. What I noticed while running relsoft's extremely pretty demo was, my CPU going to 100%

That's 'coz Rel is doing everything in software (tinyptc also blits to screen w/o using hardware accel, just MMX). That opengl test for example, takes only 2% of CPU time here, as rendering is being done by the gfx card.

Docs? I suck at writing (laziness kills), don't count on me..

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - KiZ - 11-14-2004

Quote:I can probably assist with documentation. Documentation is an obsession for me, kinda like it was for Nazi Germany. Big Grin

Hell, id have to agree with ya there. I cant stop writing full techincal documentations for silly little programs. Its obsessive for me too Big Grin

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - dilettante - 11-15-2004

Quote:I don't plan adding any support for COM and ActiveX, for that you must add Variant data types, what means the compiler would be dependent on the Win API (ole32 dll's), and i don't want that, sorry.

Yes, I avoided the "V" word on purpose.

Believe me, I understand and support your concerns about portability. It just about kills the thing for serious adoption on Windows though, nearly everything but base services is ActiveX based.

I'd love to see it added later, but I imagine it would fork the project pretty seriously if someone were to add it later on. Too bad it can't be done modularly, like using a sort of ActiveX adapter library. Impractical without at least simple object support though (oops, the "O" word now).

Please understand I'm not criticizing, just trying to think aloud where the community can hear me. Personally I'd love a compiler like this that could generate native OpenBSD executables. The OBSD world seriously lacks a tool like this and has to fall back on clunky ports and emulation layers.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - relsoft - 11-15-2004

Joe, Dark and Aetherfox:

Got the idea from this:

http://www.gaffer.org/java/rose.html

Don't know his exact equations though, but I can see its just 3dlines on planes rotated together and additive blended. So I worked my own from there. :*)

Joe: Re: DW3, I will answer that come QBexpress, if you could wait. As if you haven't waited for like and eternity. :*)

Let's see if PTC is fast enough to do an optimized, raytracer...

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Marcade - 11-15-2004

Quote:Joe, Dark and Aetherfox:

Got the idea from this:

http://www.gaffer.org/java/rose.html

Don't know his exact equations though, but I can see its just 3dlines on planes rotated together and additive blended. So I worked my own from there. :*)

Joe: Re: DW3, I will answer that come QBexpress, if you could wait. As if you haven't waited for like and eternity. :*)

Let's see if PTC is fast enough to do an optimized, raytracer...

That's one darn pretty rose.

From what I can see it, it's a simple cube circling around in the middle with that additive blending and then slowly moving outwards.

Very pretty.

/edit

Crap I just figured out you can move all the cubes from that java rose with your mouse. :o

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - aetherfox - 11-15-2004

Woah!

This kind of stuff confuses me.

Rel, send me an email on avinashvora at gmail dot com when and if you decide to write some tutorials on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

That rose thing looks awesomely sexy.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Marcade - 11-16-2004

Blah. I tried to recreate that rose effect in QB in Screen 13.

I created (well ripped) a 3D turning cube from some where. I created an anti-aliased line routine using wuline specifications .. I created that the cube grows and whatever .. I even created that pixels on the screen fade out ..

.. but I still don't get the nice effect the original has; it looks like crap.

Spent hours trying to figure out how to get it as pretty but darned it just won't work nice ..

:evil: :evil:

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - ShadowWolf - 11-16-2004

yo after this compiler is done what improvment to code generation by the compiler could be done ???