Qbasicnews.com
freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: General (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General/Misc (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. (/thread-4948.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - aetherfox - 11-22-2004

This isn't some puny minigame that it's going to be speedily completed.

Teams of programmers spend months if not years developing compilers...and here we have one guy doing a momumental effort as a lone wolf.

For how far he's gotten in such a short time? He deserves a cookie. I mean it's as fast as MingW...it's as simple as QB...it's as portable as...well, a bag...and nearing the power of C. This stuff doesn't happen overnight. There are loads of people here shitting their pants everyday that this compiler doesn't have a public release.

vic, did I mention I love you Tongue.

PS: I'm going to kick some serious ass if anyone makes a gay joke.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Jofers - 11-23-2004

So, anyways, two bikers walk into a bar, and one turns to the other...

oh... wait, nm...

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - DrV - 11-23-2004

freeBASIC?!?! w000000t!

I'd be glad to help with writing almost anything... I'm hopefully getting broadband inet in a few days, so maybe I'll be on more often. I can hack C, BASIC, and x86 ASM. I'll prolly do a Linux port if no one beats me to it (and if I can get my stinkin' Linux partition to boot... the hdd with the bootloader crashedSad)

I'm going to try to convince everyone to write portable code if possible... use wrappers for OS-specific functions and use the rtlib whenever possible... please! Hopefully this language can start out clean and weed out all this darn platform-specific stuff.

For the ASM generation, note that in Win32 when calling DLL procs (including those in system libs like kernel32, etc.) you can speed things up by using 'CALL [__imp__MessageBoxA@0]' instead of 'CALL _MessageBoxA@0'. If you use the latter, the linker will just insert code like this:
Code:
_MessageBoxA@0:
jmp [__imp__MessageBoxA@0]

Oh... can't forget my obligatory English usage correction:
Quote:whoah... this is SO awesome!!! You have my full support v3cz0r! It looks totally sweet. Rock on! I'll wait for the release with baited breath! (I baited mine with cookies.)

No, no, you're waiting with _bated_ breath. Tongue

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - marzecTM - 11-23-2004

write the ide plz, uh and have fun porting it hehe...

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - barok - 11-23-2004

Quote:No, no, you're waiting with _bated_ breath. Tongue

Bah, what's it to you? Wink

Actually, i've only heard that saying: i've never seen it written on paper.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Z!re - 11-23-2004

So, what does bated mean anyways?...

Did you know?: this topic has over 5000views... forum record?

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - relsoft - 11-23-2004

Oh, it's gonna get bigget once Mr. Chinchilla releases the Compiler. A dedicated IDE would also be cool.

Nek? Anyone up for it?

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Fling-master - 11-23-2004

I would volunteer as I've done some stuff with IDE's in the past, but I'm swamped with projects at the moment... I think aetherfox has expressed some interest in it though... he keeps asking stuff about the IDE so I get the impression he's just itching to do it. Tongue

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - barok - 11-23-2004

Quote:I would volunteer as I've done some stuff with IDE's in the past, but I'm swamped with projects at the moment... I think aetherfox has expressed some interest in it though... he keeps asking stuff about the IDE so I get the impression he's just itching to do it. Tongue

is that your way of saying that you won't do it? Wink

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - ShadowWolf - 11-23-2004

IS Masm32 Editor opensource if it is use that it's pretty clean looking and i would guss would be easy to convert over for FB but then again i have no idea what i'm talking about.