Qbasicnews.com
freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: General (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General/Misc (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. (/thread-4948.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - adosorken - 11-24-2004

Why bother? It makes more sense to create a new one specifically for this. Otherwise, you have to spend extra time learning the existing system, making tremendous changes to suit the needs of a completely different system, etc etc etc. It's far more work than its worth, and the end result is often quite lackluster anyways.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Plasma - 11-24-2004

Quote:freeware isn't open source. You can't do jack diddly with a binary, unless you want to deal with disassembled code, which is harder than making a new one.

MASM itself is open source. But does that include an IDE?

MASM is not open source.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - dilettante - 11-24-2004

I Don't Know's on third.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - dilettante - 11-24-2004

Quote:So, what does bated mean anyways?...

Did you know?: this topic has over 5000views... forum record?

A form of unaspirated "abated," from 'bated. "Bated breath" means "holding my breath."

Did you know there is NO such expression as "honing in" either?

It's HOMING in, as in seeking a beacon, as in homing pigeons heading home, etc.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Jofers - 11-24-2004

Quote:MASM is not open source.
Yes, m'am.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - aetherfox - 11-25-2004

Well, about the IDE.

I really don't mind doing it, even though I'm the IDE designer of the QuickerBasic project, I'd be happy to help on this. Nek, yeah thats awesome, we'll start it.

I'm assuming VB6. I have VB2005, and frankly, I'm hugely disappointed. I won't be using it. The only good thing is the sexy IDE. The language has gone to the dogs. Namespaces? Encapsulation? OOP? Completely new keywords and stuff? System.class? AAARRRGGGHHH. VB lost it's simplicity, and so it lost it's charm, IMHO. VB6 for me.

Anyway, even if I wanted to, VB.NET is a new language to learn, and that will take a lot of time. The VB6 project converter with the beta version of vb2005 is real dodgy, nothing apart from horribly simple stuff works for me.

Vic, have you created anything in the compiler to help it interface with the IDE? I have never ever coded debugging into an IDE, I don't really know how to approach it, and I hope Nek, with his exp. from QBDS knows. As far as syntax highlighting goes, thats easy peasy, and with some effort I could design something plugin, ie, the syntax is not hard-coded. Kind of like ConText's system.

Can't think of anything else to say.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - adosorken - 11-25-2004

I sorta agree with the VB2005 thing, and frankly, it actually makes no sense to code something in VB2005 since it's expireware anyways and the .net framework you need for it is beta code. And yeah...the newer .net VB has really gone in a different direction and it really is learning a whole new language. I dunno about anyone else here, but I don't have that kind of time. VB6 would work out fine, nothing beats VB for GUI applications.

As far as the editor window, have no fear. Smile Even though syntax highlighting is very easy, I have an even easier way of doing it, which I used in both QuickPower and OBDS. The only thing with OBDS is that the whole thing was integrated to the extreme, so the editor, compiler, and debugger were all in the same EXE.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - VonGodric - 11-26-2004

The ide would be great, but it doesn't matter in what it is done, though I'd personally prefere some more portable language then VB. Btw does FB support also "default arguments" in function/sub declaration list? like you can do in c++?

void blabla(int x, int i=10, float=12.0); ?

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - v3cz0r - 11-26-2004

Quote: Btw does FB support also "default arguments" in function/sub declaration list? like you can do in c++?

void blabla(int x, int i=10, float=12.0); ?

It does since last week, for numeric values (int or fpoint), sub blablah( byval x as integer, byval i as integer = 10, byval f as single = 12.0 ), sub can be called as: blablah x, blablah x, y, blablah x, , z, blablah x, y, z

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - adosorken - 11-26-2004

Quote:though I'd personally prefere some more portable language then VB
When VB comes out for Linux...oh wait, that's never going to happen. Big Grin

And anyways, it's being developed for Windows first, so might as well take advantage. Later on, perhaps the same IDE can be developed using the KDE toolkit or something like Qt3.