Qbasicnews.com
freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: General (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General/Misc (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. (/thread-4948.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - dilettante - 11-27-2004

Yeah, I see even OpenBSD supports ELF now (as of 3.4 I think) so that's no problem. It's the most conservative of the BSDs so pretty much all of them must have it.

Gee, if you're gonna hack the asm source that's fine. But then I assume FB will recompile itself for the final cut, which means changing the compiler (in FB) to generate the proper OBJs for the target platform.

I guess one could build *nix FBs in FB on Windows given a cross-linker, or would you just compile on Win32 and then link over on the target *nix?

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - relsoft - 11-27-2004

Quote:doing it the way ado wants it to be... hm that's how you create bad software. i wonder why everybody wants to use vb. isn't there any alternative? like say c/c++, there's plenty of gui editors for various gui libraries including the vc buildin mfc editor (which is of course tedious to use and pretty crappy). doing it fast != doing it well
wxwidgets for Dev CPP. Never tested it but it seems to have lots of users.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - aetherfox - 11-27-2004

Rel: I tried that program, it didn't work for me, but it's got a heck of a following...people seem to think it can beat every other GUI driven program (VB, Delphi etc).

The VB/C++ argument: Look, I've said this already...me (and every VB programmer I know, Nek included) DONT HATE C/C++. Quite the opposite. C is possibly one of the most powerful languages designed, but that doesnt mean its good at everything. Stop being so full of yourself and wake the fuck up. VB was designed to make GUI applications. The only reason it was written is to make GUI coding less of a pain because its a fxcking pain in C.

And for your information, it's actually the C community that bitch at VB: "Urr you aren't uberhax0r like me! I is teh k1ng w1th teh 1337 sk1lls at C."

As for portability of the IDE: f uck it. I could not give less of a shit. If you want to write one for Linux, thats absolutely dandy, but I couldn't care less. Stop tormenting us with all this crap about that it won't work on Linux, because I don't care. I'm not going to partake in any project thats going to sacrifice functionality to please a few crying dodderheads.

And on the subject of portability, I don't think its wise to pester Vic with a trivial issue like that now. Let it get stable and completely functional and backed on Windows, then think about other platforms.

Footnotes:
This is NOT flaming. You'd know if I was flaming.
Nek semi-apologized about his bluntness. I don't. This whole thing is getting annoying. You are a big boy, you can hold the tears in.

I am NOT a Linux hater. Not even close. I have lots of problems with the OS, but I support the cause. I better not get crap for this.

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - Z!re - 11-27-2004

I agree fully...

Theres nothing i hate more then C coders who go:
"But it's better, cause it's portable" (Insert OMG, WTF, LOL, various 1337speak, and random bullshit)

I just wanna stab them with a blunt spoon...

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - adosorken - 11-27-2004

Agreed, aeth. I don't hate C/C++, I use it virtually every day as it is. What I hate is the C/C++ community, in their never-ending arrogance and blatant egocentricism.

For the IDE: I said it from the beginning that it's better to take advantage of the Windows platform, since it's what we're all starting with. Also, doing it quickly can only be an advantage...it would be great to have a working IDE ready to go when v1ctor's ready for the official release. I don't forsee any real difficulties with the IDE with the exception of an integrated debugger. The rest is easy street. Big Grin

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - marzecTM - 11-27-2004

then i'd say start coding and stop flaming eh?

incredible how poor selfconfidence you got, all i was pointing out is that it may be hard to port, period. nothing else, i didn't say vb is crap nor did i say basic coders are script kiddies or something like that, so plz shut the fuck up now and start coding...

edit: in fact i even pointed out that you could port it to linux when written with vb.net... strange you are

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - adosorken - 11-27-2004

I also mentioned how VB6 can be easily ported to VB.NET. Tongue Thusly, said VB.NET port could later be ported to Linux through the .net implementation there.

However, you did mention that my strategy was "how bad programs are written", which was pretty lame on your part. Tongue Perhaps if you thought about it for a moment rather than jumping down my throat the first mention of VB you saw, you would have understood that we're already thinking of the future and potentially porting this sucka over to linux at a later time. I think your first assumption of a VB coder IS "skript kiddiez", and you know what assuming does, right? Big Grin Try to see things from their own vantage point rather than a single point...it'll get you much further in life. Big Grin

Now shut the fuck up yourself and get back to coding, beotch! Big Grin Big Grin I already started on my part anyways...

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - marzecTM - 11-27-2004

ow, as i stated about 2 million times earlier, i was not bitching about vb but about rapid software developement. most often rapid developement produces bad software, cause the design phases are to short, the design revision phases are to short, and most of the time is spent on the implementation hacking togheter something "that just works, but nobody knows how and why". an ide is not a small project, so it definetly needs design if you want to manage it easily later on. that was my whole point. no word against vb, no word against vb coders. and i really don't care what you assume i assume....

freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - aetherfox - 11-27-2004

Argh fuck why is there a swear filter? It completely takes away what I want to put across.

Simply put marzec or whatever you name is, you have got to make a serious check on what you think about us. After having the audacity to blatantly give us shit about being script kiddies, you tell US to...START CODING?

ARE YOU F U CKING OUT OF YOUR MIND?

And what the hell is this shit about self confidence? And that horrific grammar and spelling.

Somebody please, slap him.

Nek, I agree, doing it fast could only be good. In fact, I would go so far as to say, initially, sacrifice deep functionality just to get a bare-bones working IDE ready for Vic's release. I doubt that will happen, but yeah.

Admins my apologies I got out of hand but he definately deserved that.

ow, as i stated about 2 million times earlier, i was not bitching about vb but about rapid software developement. most often rapid developement produces bad software, cause the design phases are to short, the design revision phases are to short, and most of the time is spent on the implementation hacking togheter something "that just works, but nobody knows how and why". an ide is not a small project, so it definetly needs design if you want to manage it easily later on. that was my whole point. no word against vb, no word against vb coders. and i really don't care what you assume i assume.... and stop that smilie war.