Qbasicnews.com
Bug Reports - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: General (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General/Misc (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Bug Reports (/thread-5202.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Bug Reports - DrV - 01-04-2005

you still need to link with SDL (-l sdl) as everyone has already said 20 times...

Bug Reports - barok - 01-04-2005

okay, okay... done...

now when i compile it i get an application error...

Quote:the instruction at "0x74fad613" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

Bug Reports - retsyo - 01-04-2005

in fact, it is not a serious bug other than a serious feature request
Code:
print "a"
print "a"*5
can be compiled, but only "a" is printed
I hope fbc could treat "a"*5 as "aaaaa", which is common in PYTHON and other script languages, and is a nice code too.

Bug Reports - adosorken - 01-04-2005

Ugh...that's messy as all hell. The last thing we want is for FB to look like slopscript like Python. :barf:

Bug Reports - zydon - 01-04-2005

in basic, they usually do:

Code:
print STRING$(5,"a")  ' output > "aaaaa"

thx - theuserbl - 01-04-2005

Thx for all the answers.

Quote:Any app using qb gfx functions/statements needs a -l sdl option on command-line, i may change that later, but the gfx lib isn't working quite right for me atm - palette problems.

I have tested it and you are right, now it works.
I am surprised how QBasic-compatible it is.

But there existing a little problem, that a PRINT creates two Carriage Return.

Quote:TinyPTC will run in fullscreen by default now, unless you pass the -d PTC_WIN command-line option.

I have tested it now. And you are right.
So, in 0.09 the ptc examples are the only examples, which don't run correct on my computer.
If I then use the option, you have mentiond, than it runs correct in Window-mode. But in fullscreen mode it don't show anything.

That surprised me, because all other fullscreen examples (ddraw-example, sdltest.bas, ...) running correct in fullscreen.
But ptc not. Whats the reason?

Bug Reports - retsyo - 01-04-2005

Yes, qb is not python, but fb is not qb now since it has added many new features. I know that STRING$ is good, but I think "a"*5 is more intuitionistic and need less letters, why not have both of them in fbc for different user choices? I also think other methods in PYTHON/RUBY can be imported into fbc for convenient while keeping the old qb syntax-compatible.

Bug Reports - theuserbl - 01-04-2005

Quote:Yes, qb is not python, but fb is not qb now since it has added many new features. I know that STRING$ is good, but I think "a"*5 is more intuitionistic and need less letters, why not have both of them in fbc for different user choices? I also think other methods in PYTHON/RUBY can be imported into fbc for convenient while keeping the old qb syntax-compatible.

I think the most reason is, that "a"*5 is not QBish.

And it is not intuitionistic, like you say.
It is intuitionistic for python-people.
But C developer for example see in

print 'a' *5

as result

Because they see 'a' as char. And char=int.
And the char 'a' is 97 as value.
And 97*5=485.

The most extensions in FB are additional functions and so.
But to write
print "a"*5
is not a new function. It is basically different from the normal QBasic way to handle numbers and strings.

And additional point is, that FB-people love QB.
And if you want to make bigger changes to the language, it is in any time a complete different language and no longer like QBasic.

So, I think that v1ctor and the other FB people never supports something like you want in FB.

But FB is OpenSource. If you want, you can implement it in a FB-fork yourself if you can.

But I think, that it will never integrated in the official FB.

Greatings
theuserbl

Bug Reports - VonGodric - 01-04-2005

Don't know if that has been reported yet, but:

in qb'ish gfx mode, "sleep" doesn't wait till the key is pressed.

And also, sometimes FLIP is needed and sometimes is not, Would it be possible so that all the time, no matter what I do, flip would be needed to refresh screen? less confusing.

Also, in gfx mode, print is transparent -is it possible to have nontransparent? like 3rd optonal arg to color or smth?

Since it's based on sdl, how can I get pointer to surface used? So I could modify directly with sdl? Is bload and bsave supported? if no, the would it be possible to make them load BMP files instead? a Lot easier.

Well just thoughts

Bug Reports - adosorken - 01-05-2005

I personally can't stand Python, and I'd hate to see FB corrupted in such a foul way. No offence intended to you retsyo, but...ugh...Python? :barf: