Qbasicnews.com
Interesting problem with COMMON/DIM SHARED - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: Qbasic "like" compilers/interpreters (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: FB Discussion & Programming Help (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-15.html)
+--- Thread: Interesting problem with COMMON/DIM SHARED (/thread-5877.html)

Interesting problem with COMMON/DIM SHARED - subxero - 01-31-2005

First of all, FB 0.11 rules big-time, except for this bug I seem to have come across (please tell me I'm doing something wrong, so I don't have to wait for 0.12 :-P)

I have these lines in my main include file (used by every module):

Code:
COMMON SHARED Layers() AS SDL_Surface POINTER
DIM SHARED Layers(1 TO 5) AS SDL_Surface POINTER

That compiles successfully, but any reference to the array at all crashes the program.

So I tried putting the dimensions in the COMMON...

Code:
COMMON SHARED Layers(1 TO 5) AS SDL_Surface POINTER

Also compiles fine, but crashes on any reference to Layers().

Lastly, just as a test, regardless of whether or not the array would be common, I tried:

Code:

This code worked fine when Layers() was referenced in engine.bas, my main module, but crashed when it was referenced in sdlwrap.bas, my graphics module. When I say "referenced," I mean used generally - I check the contents of Layers( ) with a PRINT statement as a sort of debugging, and the PRINT executes about halfway and crashes.

Tell me I'm doing something wrong. I'd love to continue programming. :-)

As a side note: it seems that if the array is dynamic, everything works fine - as is with my MainFont() array, my Tileset() array, and my Level() array.

Interesting problem with COMMON/DIM SHARED - Antoni Gual - 01-31-2005

FB'S COMMON supports only dynamic arrays.
I read it, can't remember where...
Fortunately differnt people remenbers different parts of the specs, and all togheter make a complete manual. Recalls me Fahrenheit 451 Big Grin

Interesting problem with COMMON/DIM SHARED - steven_basic - 01-31-2005

Quote:Fortunately differnt people remenbers different parts of the specs, and all togheter make a complete manual. Recalls me Fahrenheit 451

* Applause *

Any Bradbury references so expertly inserted into the conversations deserve admiration.

Interesting problem with COMMON/DIM SHARED - 1000101 - 01-31-2005

Quote:Any Bradbury references so expertly inserted into the conversations deserve admiration.

It would if Ray Bradbury didn't totally suck.

subxero: Common sucks and is bad programming habit. You should pass the list of surfaces as a parameter instead of referencing them as an external list.

Interesting problem with COMMON/DIM SHARED - na_th_an - 01-31-2005

Quote:subxero: Common sucks and is bad programming habit. You should pass the list of surfaces as a parameter instead of referencing them as an external list.

Agreed 1000^1000%.

Interesting problem with COMMON/DIM SHARED - Z!re - 01-31-2005

Yaya, and GOTO is bad.. yadda yadda..

Not everyone knows how to do fancy pointers and stuff..
We use what we've always used, and it works :lol:

Atleast I do..

And btw, did you know, in fb < 0.11, you could use redim on static arrays... weird...

Interesting problem with COMMON/DIM SHARED - na_th_an - 01-31-2005

No pointers, just extra parameters. That way it's easier to get track of your data. At least for me. I don't like having a bunch of inter-module globals. You end not knowing where the data belongs to.

Interesting problem with COMMON/DIM SHARED - Z!re - 01-31-2005

Oh.. you mean like
Code:
MySub arg1, arg2, array()

Sry, my bad, thought you meant some fancy pointer thingy stuff blarg Big Grin

Interesting problem with COMMON/DIM SHARED - TheBigBasicQ - 01-31-2005

Quote:
1000101 Wrote:subxero: Common sucks and is bad programming habit. You should pass the list of surfaces as a parameter instead of referencing them as an external list.

Agreed 1000^1000%.
For once I agree with you. COMMONs, GOTOs should never be used! Unless absolutely essential :roll:

Interesting problem with COMMON/DIM SHARED - Sterling Christensen - 01-31-2005

The COMMON can be in the include file, but the DIM SHARED shouldn't be. The variable should be DIMmed only in one module.

Like so:
Quote:DECLARE SUB printBlah
COMMON SHARED blah
DIM SHARED blah

blah = 2
printBlah
END
Quote:DECLARE SUB printBlah
COMMON SHARED blah

SUB printBlah
PRINT blah
END SUB