Qbasicnews.com
Better Looking Calculator. (File Updated 04/26/05) - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: Qbasic "like" compilers/interpreters (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: FB Discussion & Programming Help (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-15.html)
+---- Forum: FB Projects (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-16.html)
+---- Thread: Better Looking Calculator. (File Updated 04/26/05) (/thread-6845.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Better Looking Calculator. (File Updated 04/26/05) - Neo - 04-16-2005

Found some weird things already though.

First of all, your calculator states the following:
Code:
Sqr(-a) = b / 0   { with a >= 0, b >= 0 }
note that Sqr(-1) is definetly not equal to Sqr(-2) or 4 / 0 Wink
(the answers to these are btw: i, sqr(2) * i, and infinity respectively).

Secondly, when I press the +/- sign first, then type a number, the zero stays attached on front, so I could type numbers like 0482.

^_^

Better Looking Calculator. (File Updated 04/26/05) - Rattrapmax6 - 04-17-2005

@Neo (Post 1)
Right, I had tried it thinking that it activate the X, must have not done it right, got it to work tho... :wink:

@Neo (Post 2, Error found 1)
Not exacly following you on that error. But what it seems,. when I divide something by 0, I get "1.#INF".. And when I square root a negetive, I get the same thing... You do know standard calcs, or any as far as I know, can't SQR a negative right? :???:

(.. Error found 2)
Oh, heh, I'll try and figure that out,. :roll: :wink:

Better Looking Calculator. (File Updated 04/26/05) - Neo - 04-17-2005

The square root of a negative number is defined as the square root of the absolute value of that number, times i, the complex constant.

So:

Sqr(-a) = Sqr(a) * i { for a >= 0 }

Most simple calculators don't have this implemented though (which actually makes them faulty, but ok). =)
^_^

I'm glad you fixed the errors =)

Smile Oh, so you ment you wanted me to add support for squaring negatives..

IF num <= 0 THEN 'Check for negative
-(num) 'Change to positive
SQR(num) 'Square
dspl$ = STR$(num) + " * i" 'Display

Output (number * i)

Is this what you mean?

Yeah, I fixed the:

0444, & exit on pressing X,. :wink:

Good good =)

About i...
Note that there's more on i than just that Smile
First of all:
Quote:i^0=1
i^1=i
i^2=-1
i^3=-i
i^4=1
and so on
Simply because i = sqr(-1) so i^2 = -1

Also it has been proven that
e^(i * y) = cos(y) + i * sin(y) { with y being any real number }
(e is the mathematical constant of differential equality... or something, it's 2.7182818284590452353602875... (infinite numbers like PI).

If you want more about complex numbers... =) http://www.clarku.edu/~djoyce/complex/ or any other googled link Wink

Hehe, just details Wink Would be fun if it were implemented though.
But first make sure it works very good ^_^

:rotfl:

Isn't that a bit much for a simple calc? So if I add that i support like I did above, I need all that other stuff to render too? :???: Or just the trailling "i" good enough for my calc?

:lol: Funny, Algebra never bothered to mention all that on "i",. oh well.. :wink: .. Thats a higher math isn't it tho? Smile

Better Looking Calculator. (File Updated 04/26/05) - KiZ - 04-17-2005

Neo, I think he just wanted to make a simple calculator. Imaginary numbers aint exactly simple Smile

Hehe I was just saying it existed Big Grin
And yes, there is a lot about complex (I don't like calling them imaginary) numbers, and it's not easy no =)

And yeah... it's relatively higher math. In what I study (Aerospace Engineering) the complex numbers are essential, as with many other university studies.

Smile Fun to see you like it though Wink

Better Looking Calculator. (File Updated 04/26/05) - shiftLynx - 04-17-2005

Rather than just supporting real or imaginary numbers, it would be better to support complex numbers (which have both a real and imaginary part).

If you did this, you could also add stuff like a complex conjugate button, etc.

When you first made this post, I wasn't going to say anything, but you haven't noticed yet so I suppose I should: you've mis-spelt 'calculator' on your main window. Smile

I agree with Neo: it would be cool to have e.

These buttons would be good additions (no pun intended Wink):

* pi
* e
* ln
* log
* x^y
* 10^x (normally this button is labelled 'EXP' on calculators)

Quote:And yeah... it's relatively higher math. In what I study (Aerospace Engineering) the complex numbers are essential, as with many other university studies.

Smile Fun to see you like it though :wink:

lol,. I'm going for Automotive Designer, but I read I need to know Engineering also,. :lol: ,. so a engineer doesn't have to redesign what I've done... :wink:

And high in math intrests me, yes.. Smile :wink:

@Shift.. Really,. *goes looks*.... AH! darn,.. oh well, can fix that quick,. lol. :wink:

Hmm,. thinks I'll do a scientific calc later on with those opps.. :wink: I'd have to redesign everthing for such modifictions..