Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Semerkoala QB. New QB Forum.
Semerkoala QB is a new QB forum with files, tutorials, links, and more added daily. Come check us out and sign up.

You can use either of these URL's:

http://semerkoalaqb.ne1.net/

or

http://www.myfreebulletinboard.com/f/ind...qb&act=idx
we have enough qb forums! This one is good enough. I refuse to even look at it.
Jumping Jahoolipers!
I second that opinion.

I think we should have a sticky topic entitled NO NEW QB FORUMS!
I also agree there... too many people starting too many forums with too few unique features.

I was going to post a link to a post on another forum I visit where the admin posted a sticky topic listing tips and stuff for starting a new website, however I can't seem to find the topic right now heh. Perhaps later. Anyway... the basic ideas from that topic that I think are important here are that if you do absolutely feel it necessary to make a new forum for a programming community with too few members to fill all of the forums in it then you should probably refrain from making so many separate forums in your forum. Why? Well think about it... if you have 20 forums and only a few posts in a lot of those forums (maybe even no posts in some of them) then your forum looks dead to new visitors and then they quickly click 'Back' on their browser and never visit again. Also... if you're going to make a site... unless you have a REALLY original and absolutely genius idea for the forum... make a SITE to back the forum up with EXISTING and UNIQUE content. A big tip is NOT to open a site with tons of "Under construction" messages all over the place IF you have a site backing up the forum. However I guess this doesn't apply here as this new forum isn't anything but a forum.

However I think the big problem here that I've already mentioned is that there are not enough people around the QB community to fill all these new forums popping up.
The only good reason i see to start up a new qb site is to archive your work and show it off.

Rel's Genso's Junkyard is a great example.
Jumping Jahoolipers!
Fine, I get the hint, I'll close qbtk.

But really, start off with a site to show off your programs or to host your friends programs. Review qb things (games/libs/tuts/whatever) and get people to start coming. Provide people a service they don't yet have. Once you get the members that are coming to your site, then think about forum. The sites that start as forums rarely last very long or just sit around and not get posted in. Hell, the forums that are usually popular sometimes don't get posted in.

For those with ADD: Start site before forum. Give resources first, then offer a place for a community.

Most important, put your shoes on after you pants and life will be a lot easier.
url=http://fileanchor.com]FileAnchor[/url] - ImageAnchor - FBTK - QbasicNews - VPlanet - Various
To all of you who replied from during this news topic:

I *totally* agree with all of you wholeheartedly. ^_^ You know why, guys? Because simply put, I believe that starting out with a real, quality, content-rich QB website is a far cry from just beginning your website journey with a forum-only one, you understand what I am saying?

Take a site called Pete’s QBasic/QuickBASIC Site, for instance. That site was made successful in the fact that it originally had *honest and to-the-point* QB-related reviews, downloads, and news and other goodies, even the “QBasic Dance” thrown in as a little something extra! And, guess what? Ever since it has been recently resurrected from the graveyard of dead QB websites, it became ALL-OUT AWESOME even more in terms of how popularly successful it very truly is, mainly due to the thing enabling us all now an opportunity to send our own QB-related stuff including downloads, news, and other information, all in addition to what it already had from the beginning on and more! Plus, it is updated on a regular basis, too!! Big Grin ! Now all of these are perfect examples of the key ingredients needed to make a spectactularly superb QBasic/QuickBASIC-based website, let me tell you for sure!!! ;*) !

On the other hand, if you start out with a forum-only website (or an “Under Construction”-based one) and then show it to the public, then apparently, strong chances are that not only will you most likely not have many visitors, but also your piece of the web might just wind up with a big-time failure written all over it ( Cry ! ), which is something that you’d NEVER even want to have happen, believe me.

Bottom line: if you are gonna begin your own website journey in QB at all, I’d go indeed for a more complete and content-rich QBasic/QuickBASIC website. Period and that is it. That way, you’d have a potential shot at reeling in your visitors! Wink And hey, if your site gets pretty popular, you can then add a forum, if you want to.

Once again, I agree with *all* of you. And be catching you again. :king: !

GIVING YOU ALL SOME CLEVERLY GOOD ADVICE,

Adigun Azikiwe Polack
One of the Founders of “Aura Flow”
Continuing Developer of “Frantic Journey”
Current Developer of “Star Angelic Slugger”
Webmaster of the “AAP Official Projects Squad”

And finally, do stop by at the all-new “QB Coder’s Tutorials Guild” within my site for all 4 chapters of Relsoft’s current 3D tutorial series plus the showing you of how to submit your own QuickBASIC/QBasic tutorials!! ^_- !
url=http://dhost.hopto.org/aapproj/][Image: file.php?id=194][/url]
Your *official* home of the FreeBasic GFX Demo Central, now holding over 150 FB graphics demos so far!!! Big Grin !
Quote:The only good reason i see to start up a new qb site is to archive your work and show it off.

Rel's Genso's Junkyard is a great example.

Err, I have a *forum* now. :*)

Big Grin
y smiley is 24 bit.
[Image: anya2.jpg]

Genso's Junkyard:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/
I support anyone who decides to make their own QB site / forum / etc.... we need growth in the QB community, innovation, new blood. I'm glad that Semerkoala's trying his hand at creating a new site, even if it is based on a forum. If he works on it diligently for long enough, it will undoubtedly become something great.

Now I'd like to point out something about Semerkoala's forum that you might not have noticed if you didn't look closely: it's not just an empty forum meant for discussion. Semerkoala's using it more as an automatic content-management script, instead of creating a site based on HTML pages. Each "item" that he adds to his site is its own post, whether it's a tutorial, a program, a link, etc. This strategy also opens up the site to some unique possibilities, like automatic user commenting, searching, and sorting items based on various criteria. This format has proven successful at other QB sites like QBasic.tk (which is a great site, I may add).

Now I have to agree with you all that right now, Semerkoala's site has nothing original to offer, and is hardly in need of a forum. But I don't think of this so much as a discussion forum, but as a standard QB site that's based on a forum.

Tek of NeoZones once posted on the last version of NeoZones before it disappeared: "Back in the day, a good recipe for [a QBasic site] was rather simple. A laundry list of downloadable files, links, tutorials, questions and answers, the infamous discussion forum, and some other goodies. Stir a user system in to the mix, sprinkle with the ever pervasive link to the top-sites list, and decorate with a couple webrings. You've got yourself a formula for success. And don't forget about your RPG that's in the works, either."

If you look at Semerkoala's site, it's following the "laundry list" recipe for a QB site...it's just based entirely on a forum. So cut him some slack.

All beginning QB sites start with almost no visitors... for the first month of Pete's QBasic Site, I think I got less than 100 hits. Pigeon's GBGames site took a few months of daily updates to pass 200 hits (I was checking the site out on Archive.org the other day). But it was regular updates and devotion that made my site and GBGames thrive. The same is true for V Planet!, which took a long time with regular updates before it became popular.

Think of this site as a standard HTML site, and think of Semerkoala as the webmaster rather than the admin. If he keeps working on his site and adds content regularly, (expecially UNIQUE content), it can become a worthwhile site and a valuable resource. Who knows, Semerkoala QB could evolve into the next Qbasic.tk.
Pete's QB Site: http://www.petesqbsite.com
To Pete:

You are right in some cases, man. I mean, sure starting out your own QB website journey with a forum is such a pretty risky if not even an iffy move (at least to some), BUT, with the right formula like you have just mentioned which was...........

Quote:Tek of NeoZones once posted on the last version of NeoZones before it disappeared: "Back in the day, a good recipe for [a QBasic site] was rather simple. A laundry list of downloadable files, links, tutorials, questions and answers, the infamous discussion forum, and some other goodies. Stir a user system in to the mix, sprinkle with the ever pervasive link to the top-sites list, and decorate with a couple webrings. You've got yourself a formula for success. And don't forget about your RPG that's in the works, either."

If you look at Semerkoala's site, it's following the "laundry list" recipe for a QB site...it's just based entirely on a forum. So cut him some slack.

All beginning QB sites start with almost no visitors... for the first month of Pete's QBasic Site, I think I got less than 100 hits. Pigeon's GBGames site took a few months of daily updates to pass 200 hits (I was checking the site out on Archive.org the other day). But it was regular updates and devotion that made my site and GBGames thrive. The same is true for V Planet!, which took a long time with regular updates before it became popular.

Think of this site as a standard HTML site, and think of Semerkoala as the webmaster rather than the admin. If he keeps working on his site and adds content regularly, (expecially UNIQUE content), it can become a worthwhile site and a valuable resource. Who knows, Semerkoala QB could evolve into the next Qbasic.tk.

..........then, it has a potential at success, I will give you that! Big Grin ! And so, let me be the first one ever to cut Semerkoala some slack, alright? I mean, really, he is a newbie to the QB45/QB71 community and all, and whether he wants to do it on his forumboard or a website in good ‘ol .HTML format, I want to wish him such excellently good fortune on his website. Definitely! Wink It is all up to him on what he wants to do with his site, after all, so, it is absolutely fair that he is to be given a real chance here, and you are doing such an awesome job on giving him a shot indeed, Pete! Way to go, my man!!

And let me tell you something, normally, while forum-only QB sites brutally bite the dust really quickly (mainly due to ONE fatal flaw: LACK OF REAL QB CONTENT! Sad ! ), only a handful indeed like NeoZones and QBasic.tk were pure successes due to a lot of real QB content and the formula that you were talking about, even though they *apparently* started out as forumboards indeed! (And boy, it can be quite scary to some — :o — I know now!)

Once more, I want to wish Semerkoala well on his site ( Big Grin ! ), and I thank you again. Peace!! ^_- !

TELLING IT THE WAY IT IS,

Adigun Azikiwe Polack
One of the Founders of “Aura Flow”
Continuing Developer of “Frantic Journey”
Current Developer of “Star Angelic Slugger”
Webmaster of the “AAP Official Projects Squad”

Now encouraging even more positive originality than ever before, it is jam-packed with all-new and *NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN* QB challenges, bigger and breathtakingly intense excitement, and MORE REVOLUTIONARY FUN like you have never, ever experienced, even including stuff based on the new and upcoming 2004 Athens Olympic Games, too!!! ;*) !

Got game for all this? Then I challenge you to please visit http://dhost.hopto.org/aapproj/qbcpc/. That means YOU, pal! Wink
url=http://dhost.hopto.org/aapproj/][Image: file.php?id=194][/url]
Your *official* home of the FreeBasic GFX Demo Central, now holding over 150 FB graphics demos so far!!! Big Grin !