Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question about this forum database desing ?
I only mentioned it for creditabilities' sake. Maybe I shouldn't have.

I wasn't "pimping" anything.

Ninkazu, vBulletin themes aren't that hard to write... just lots of complicated variables. They're stored in the database though - so it's fun. PM me if you want me to give you a few words on them.

[edit - could be considered "pimping"]
Quote:Ya, I used to like phpBB, I still do somewhat because of its new message system. Invision board tends to show forums still have new items even when you've read them all o_O
That's what I like most about YaBB SE vs. other forums. It stores whether or not you have read a thread - seen a board. That way, even if I come back to a YaBB SE forum tommorow, I can read threads a I missed today.

And, seph, I looked on google for this "NeoForum" you speak of. I've never heard of it and neither has Google.... unless you mean the hacking group. At least a search for YaBB SE gets results Tongue Tongue.
[/could be considered "pimping"]

Anyway, as to actual database design...

You want a users table, posts table, topics table, and boards table.
Have an id on each, like user_id, post_id, topic_id, board_id. That'll be what you need to link them together.

So, posts will have user_id (the poster), post_id (the post), topic_id (the topic), time (time of post), and post. (the message itself.)
Topics would then have a title, board_id (board it's in), post_id (first post), last_post_id (the last post in the topic), user_id (first poster), last_user_id (last posts' poster) and problem update_time (last time the thread was posted in/edited/etc.)
Boards would need a title, description, order, last_topic_id maybe, whatever.

Take a look at the schemas of some forums for more information.
[/edit]

-[Unknown]

Messages In This Thread
question about this forum database desing ? - by [Unknown] - 06-16-2003, 12:54 AM
Thank you all you guys :-) - by L_O_J - 06-16-2003, 12:50 PM
Re: Thank you all you guys :-) - by [Unknown] - 06-17-2003, 01:36 AM
My mistake.. - by [Unknown] - 06-21-2003, 10:53 AM
to all you guys who helped me a lot - by L_O_J - 06-28-2003, 11:24 PM