Poll: Is the task stated in the post achievable?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
100.00%
9 100.00%
No
0%
0 0%
Perhaps, but not in QBasic.
0%
0 0%
Perhaps, but not by you.
0%
0 0%
What\'s a roguelike? I\'m confused...
0%
0 0%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[LONG][RANTY] Roguelike in QBasic?
This post/poll is mainly directed at the rpg/crpg/roguelike/geek population of this board.
If you don't know what a roguelike is, I suggest you at least have a look at this fascinating game concept. Go to Usenet group:
rec.games.roguelike.development
or, the home of my favourite RL,
www.adom.de

That said, I'll get to the point. Do you people think that it is possible for a 14-yr. old with no great mental capacity, but with the call to programming and roguelikes (programming roguelikes??) to program an excellent roguelike in QB? (I'm using 7.1, and you all should be too. Wink)

I am relatively skilled in QBasic programming-- I started at the age of 7 on my Apple IIe and still do it because:
a) I like it. It is fast, easy and, well... cool. It works in DOS, which works with... well, everything the average Joe has. Maybe not portable to UNIX boxes, but hey, you can't please EVERYBODY.
b) It is fast and processor-efficient. Almost all QB programs will work on my Win3.1 486/SX laptop ($20.00, what a steal, "LOL")
c) I don't know C++ yet. And C++ is stupid. I don't WANT to say "Hello, World!" in five lines of code, I want "PRINT "Hello, world!". Not "#include<header.h>" crap. (BTW: How many of you QB programmers know C/C++? How did you learn? Textbooks?)

I won't go into the concept of Double Dagger (the aforementioned RL/cRPG/RPG) since it is very complicated. It aims to be. It aims to be more in-depth than ADOM. More items than NetHack. More "realistic" (well, a Fantasy/Oriental interpretation of 'realistic') that... some "realistic" game. (Please, oh PLEASE notice the inverted commas around "realistic"). However, it aims to have all of the computer players and monsters "play against" the character. They all eat, sleep, go on quests... just like the Player Character. They get hungry. They hunt for food. They form confederations, gangs and committees of concerned Senior Citizens. The world is not just a maze, but a living, breathing ecosystem (with some dungeons as residences for the monsters, of course Smile)

I think I can do this-- I have hatched out a few thousand lines of code in my head. I just want to know, do you think it is possible? CAN IT BE DONE, by anyone?
In a race between a rock and a pig, don't varnish your clams." -- "Dilbert"

Messages In This Thread
[LONG][RANTY] Roguelike in QBasic? - by aardvark - 05-06-2003, 05:48 PM
[LONG][RANTY] Roguelike in QBasic? - by Agamemnus - 05-06-2003, 07:13 PM
[LONG][RANTY] Roguelike in QBasic? - by Ryan - 05-06-2003, 09:16 PM
[LONG][RANTY] Roguelike in QBasic? - by DrV - 05-07-2003, 05:04 AM
[LONG][RANTY] Roguelike in QBasic? - by DrV - 05-07-2003, 05:54 AM
[LONG][RANTY] Roguelike in QBasic? - by na_th_an - 05-07-2003, 06:32 AM
[LONG][RANTY] Roguelike in QBasic? - by DrV - 05-07-2003, 06:37 AM
[LONG][RANTY] Roguelike in QBasic? - by na_th_an - 05-07-2003, 06:42 AM
[LONG][RANTY] Roguelike in QBasic? - by DrV - 05-07-2003, 06:44 AM
[LONG][RANTY] Roguelike in QBasic? - by na_th_an - 05-07-2003, 06:45 AM