Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i have done the impossible... TCP/IP in QB without Windows!!
yeah i know they've had libraries to interface quickbasic with winsock.dll under windows for years now, but that's not very helpful if you're on... say, a 286 or an 8088 in DOS 6.22 right? Smile

i've searched for ways to do this for a LONG time now, and i was never able to find any instructions on how to do it. i wanted to use a DOS packet driver and a DOS TCP/IP stack on my old 286 machine so i could build internet applications for it.

anyway, as they say... if you want something done right(and in this case, at ALL), do it yourself! i painstakingly figured out how to access the Waterloo TCP (aka. WatTCP... http://www.wattcp.com ) stack using standard quickbasic interrupt calls and made it do the things i need.

so, yeah... you no longer need to rely on windows for TCP/IP network access in quickbasic. i have the whole project pretty much finished. i just need to add some DNS resolution functions to it, and then it's ready for release!

i was going to release it in the form of a .QLB file, and also supply the source code for the .QLB

i will let you guys know what's up very soon. as i type this, my 286 is to the left of me running an IRC client i'm in the middle of coding. :cool2:

just curious, how many of you would actually use something like that? i dont know how many people actually run quickbasic under REAL mode DOS... im sure most just use it from inside a winXP or win2k command shell.

EDIT: i also want to add, that i am going to work on a DOS AOL Instant Messenger client. who says 286's are obsolete? hah!
Mike

Messages In This Thread
i have done the impossible... TCP/IP in QB without Windows!! - by Mike Chambers - 06-02-2006, 12:47 PM