Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wrong characters in XP graphics.
Jacobb:

After reading your and Mac's posts here, it occurs to me that you are probably having trouble with some other program that is running in the background, and claiming memory that QB is also trying to use.  That program is started automatically when you turn your computer on, and runs all the time, in the background, ready to do its job when called for.  But, it may not ever be used by you! 

In my case, I had a program called Flatbed.exe, which was necessary for a scanner that I no longer used. and that program turned out to be the one that did not let me use my QB graphics programs.  Oh, and this occurred when I went to a new computer, with Windows XP Home. 

To try this possibility out, I recommend that you do a Start, Run, and enter msconfig.  Then, click on the Startup tab and press the Disable All button.  Now, close down and restart your computer.  Run your QB program and see if it now runs as it is supposed to.  If it does, that was the problem.

To locate which program is the culprit, go back to the msconfig, Startup, and enable, say, half of the programs there, close down your computer, restart, and try your QB program.  Do this repetively, until you find out which program is the culprit.  At that point, you can continue to run your computer without that program being run at start up, and, if you never have a problem in anything else, just leave that program disabled for running at startup.  Otherwise, you can have it enabled all the time, but, before running yourQB program, disable it.  Someone might even be able to provide you with some code to do this automatically whenever you run the QB program, and to reanable it when the program finishes.  But, that would be a completely new thread, and it might even require going to a forum for another language, I don't know.

I know that the above involves a lot of work and time, but, it is very much worth it to know what the problem is, and what the cure is!  Do let us know if this works out for you.
Ralph, using QuickBASIC 4.5 and Windows XP Home Edition and Service Pack 2, with HP LaserJet 4L printer.

Messages In This Thread
wrong characters in XP graphics. - by jacobb - 02-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Re: wrong characters in XP graphics. - by Mac - 02-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Re: wrong characters in XP graphics. - by jacobb - 02-16-2008, 12:46 AM
Re: wrong characters in XP graphics. - by jacobb - 02-16-2008, 01:35 AM
Re: wrong characters in XP graphics. - by Mac - 02-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Re: wrong characters in XP graphics. - by Ralph - 02-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Re: wrong characters in XP graphics. - by Mac - 02-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Re: wrong characters in XP graphics. - by Ralph - 02-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Re: wrong characters in XP graphics. - by jacobb - 02-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Re: wrong characters in XP graphics. - by Ralph - 02-20-2008, 03:27 AM
Re: wrong characters in XP graphics. - by jacobb - 02-20-2008, 06:31 PM