Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wrong characters in XP graphics.
Guys, I apologize for the delay.
After Mac's suggestion I decided to go into my program and check if screen and other commands are not compatible to the LG monitor. I thought that it would take me 24 hours. I was wrong.
My program has 410 kb but does a huge amount of stuff. I started to write it using the first basic system available when memory was short and each sub had to do many things supported on a combination of switches. Powerful but crazy.
I kept changing the basic system - last version I used was professional 7.1 - used assembler subs mach.qlb for acceleration, and built new routines on top of the original program without ever restructuring it when memory became inexpensive. Since the exe was stable, I forgot it, never touched it again.
Then one day, still years ago, I decided to make a shorter structured version, started to change it, gave up and dropped it. Now, I don't know what I've changed, it does not run at all in its bas format, and it will take me a lot of time to figure it out. Believe me, I even forgot what command carries me instruction by instruction to track errors. 
That is why I disappeared. Only today I've seen Ralph's suggestion. The msconfig did not help by disabling the startup functions, I even stopped some of the services (like remote support and others). Nothing. My next step is to see if the error is a function of the LG monitor driver, although it does not make much sense. (it may be something linked to cga, ega, vga, etc.). But where is my screen command??? How did I put the text into the graphics window???
Ralph's suggestion makes a lot of sense, the desktop has a huge set of applications, including virtual disks. Maybe msconfig did not take care of all of them. I'll have to work on that.
So, again forgive me for not replying sooner (I still have to do all my other tasks in life).
I'll probably have to study basic 7.1 again to go into my program and then come back to you. Unless someone, for example, finds out that some of the windows XP updates have messed up with dos graphic windows. I've realized the my old thinkpad runs xp sp2 but not with full update because it is offline. (it has 128 kb of memory! and runs ok xp, office, etc etc. (a lot of paging)
Mac, I'll go into the other forum and explain how to increase the text screen size in vista.
Thanks, don't forget me if you have new ideas.
(I wonder why the forum did not notify me of replies, although the box is checked in additional options. My email is correct.).
Jacobb

Messages In This Thread
wrong characters in XP graphics. - by jacobb - 02-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Re: wrong characters in XP graphics. - by Mac - 02-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Re: wrong characters in XP graphics. - by jacobb - 02-16-2008, 12:46 AM
Re: wrong characters in XP graphics. - by jacobb - 02-16-2008, 01:35 AM
Re: wrong characters in XP graphics. - by Mac - 02-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Re: wrong characters in XP graphics. - by Ralph - 02-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Re: wrong characters in XP graphics. - by Mac - 02-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Re: wrong characters in XP graphics. - by Ralph - 02-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Re: wrong characters in XP graphics. - by jacobb - 02-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Re: wrong characters in XP graphics. - by Ralph - 02-20-2008, 03:27 AM