Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Qbasic Problem
PDS and VBDOS add lots of features to the language, to the compiler and to the linker.

PDS 7.1 includes new keywords and more functionality to user defined data structures (TYPES): you can create arrays inside records, for example. The compiler now generates 80286/80287 code (QB 4.5 and older generated 8086/8087 code), is able to store strings in far memory (older versions stored it in the near data segment, so it was more bloated and "easily fillable") and some more things, and the linker is able to make overlays that break the 640Kb barrier for MSDOS programs allowing EXE files up to 16 Megs in size.

VBDOS also features the VB-like style of coding (but you can always code a normal QB program) with forms and events, adds more data types and language features and more. Its compiler can generate 80386 code as well.

Despite of this, most people use QB45 'cause it was the most easily found on the internet some years ago, so first gurus grew around it, first libraries were developed for it and it became the processor of choice. Two or three years ago PDS and later VBDOS became easier to find and get (QB is 1 meg and VBDOS is around 9, so guess why), but the QB community was so accustomed to QB45. Nowadays more and more people are changing. I use QB45 maily 'cause the PDS IDE doesn't like my keyboard. That's not a excuse 'cause I could use another IDE. Anyhow, I use PDS or VBDOS to compile some of my programs when they are finished and I just have to change some stuff just to take advantage of the extended functionality.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i

Messages In This Thread
Qbasic Problem - by Steve - 03-05-2004, 05:09 AM
Qbasic Problem - by na_th_an - 03-05-2004, 06:30 AM
Qbasic Problem - by Steve - 03-05-2004, 07:20 AM
Qbasic Problem - by whitetiger0990 - 03-05-2004, 07:24 AM
Qbasic Problem - by na_th_an - 03-05-2004, 07:37 AM