Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview..
Nice flamebait attempt, marzecTM. Too bad I ain't fallin' for it.

If you feel you can do a better job in C++, then by all means, what do us experienced VB coders know...feel free, go right ahead and try. We'll see you in 2008 when you've reached beta status. :rotfl:

na_th_an: it's always wise to plan for the future, which is exactly what we're doing anyways. No one's got any guarantee that mingw is going to be around forever or will update with the changes to Windows, but we DO know that Microsoft's compilers always stay with their operating systems, so writing this in VB6 and then porting it to VB.NET later will be a sure thing. But for the time being, .net is still in its infancy and Win32 will be supported for at least the next 5 years, as consumer-level 64-bit processors are still also in their infancy...and those that exist have "legacy" support for 32 bit applications anyways. Big Grin

Doing it fast != doing it well.
Doing it right = doing it right.
Doing it fast has nothing to do with either doing it well or doing it right. Just because C++ coders take three years to make a proper app doesn't mean us VB coders have to take the same amount of time. You can deal with the miniscule low-level crap like setting up a window, constructing/deconstructing objects, and manually handling messages...the rest of us will let the compiler handle the grunt work while we build the application itself. Tongue

OH marzecTM, one last thing...the next time you insult my abilities, I may just get offended. Tongue
I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.

Messages In This Thread
Excelent work! - by Ravyne - 10-28-2004, 11:43 AM
First impression... - by ToohTooh - 11-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Random naive questions - by dilettante - 11-14-2004, 10:39 AM
freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview.. - by adosorken - 11-27-2004, 12:23 AM