Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
heheheheh..... powerbasic forum cracks me up
To be fair I did some (P2P) research about PB 7.02 for windows: it's far away from the PB 3.5 for DOS I once tested, It seems to be a handy and non-bloated developement system for "serious apps".

Features:
-Does not mention any compatibility with QB
-Inline assembler, regular expressions, matrix operations as in PB for DOS
-It includes an IDE with debugger, complete help, resource compiler and an optional visual form creator.
-It has'nt a single built-in graphics/sound keyword, or whatever a demo or game developer would need. Well, you have a BEEP, but the drawing must be made by using windows API.
-Int64, GUID and variant data types
-structured errors
-It has built in keywords to create and manage forms, dialogs, menus
-Built-in keywords for serial comms, tcp-ip, udp, com objects
-It comes with the windows api headers, and headers to interact using COM with MS Office apps
-Not a single keyword for console output. For this you need the console compiler version, or use the API

A curious metacommand #BLOAT allows to bloat the disk image of the executable without bloating the memory image, to make it similar to the concurrent products. :o

It deserves a look for those interested in developing easily non-bloated business apps, (for bloated apps you have VB), but it's not remotely as good tool as FB for game or demo developers.

It seems a good example to follow if we want FB become a general use tool. (Is this what we want?)
Antoni

Messages In This Thread
heheheheh..... powerbasic forum cracks me up - by Antoni Gual - 02-15-2005, 04:05 AM