Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
heheheheh..... powerbasic forum cracks me up
What most of you fail to realize is that the runtime DLL is needed just once. Imagine that VB could statically link the needed modules from the runtime to your EXE. If you have 100 VB programs, the space required would be much bigger than the needed to store 100 VB programs without runtime modules and just one DLL. It's like common libraries such as Allegro, FMod, SDL... They are most used in DLL form 'cause if the final user has 10 games installed that uses FMod or Allegro, those DLLs are copied just once to their Windows/System folder.

Most people have the DLLs already installed, so when it comes to download a program from some webpage they can be given the opportunity of downloading a shorter, smaller version without runtimes.

Plus the fact that you are not comparing things fairly. Pure C programs with raw API calls don't need a rontime. BASIC programs do need one, as they are at a higher level. '$DYNAMIC / DIM a AS STRING needs runtime functions. So the comparison is anything but fair.

Again, every language has its use. Language fights are stupid.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i

Messages In This Thread
heheheheh..... powerbasic forum cracks me up - by na_th_an - 02-16-2005, 04:06 PM