Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
heheheheh..... powerbasic forum cracks me up
The runtime library in QB was 20 Kb. Pasting it to an EXE (which is what LINK does when prompted for a static build) doesn't make any harm, your exe goes from 100 to 120Kb maybe. But now go and paste the 1.6 megs runtime to the end of each EXE...

The QB runtime was used in the old days. You had a 180 Kb diskette with several QB programs, so you only had to stuff the runtime once. Same applies now to VB.

I don't know where you all find the bloatness. 1.6 Mb is a perfect price to pay, having in account the huge amount of functionality VB provides. 1.6 Mb installed once in your 120 gigs HDD won't do any harm.

I prefer it this way. In the same way I don't do static links of FMOD or Allegro, I prefer having small EXEs and a separate DLL with the runtime. 'Cause I just need it once. I don't have 200 FMOD.DLL around the hard disk, I have it once, in the Windows/System dir.

PB doesn't need a huge DLL... but it doesn't give even the 1% of functionality. Does PB have picture boxes, image lists? No. You have to code them using USER32. Imagine you code a graphical app in PB with all those widgets. You end with a huge 2Mb EXE. In VB, you have a 100 Kb EXE and a 1.6 Mb runtime. What's the difference?

I'll tell you: hype and 1337-ism Wink Many people think that they are more 1337 'cause they prefer to spend 2 hours coding in PB something that takes 2 minutes in VB.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i

Messages In This Thread
heheheheh..... powerbasic forum cracks me up - by na_th_an - 02-16-2005, 05:42 PM