Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB Express Celebrates One Year: Issue #12 Released
Quote:I've noticed that www.ubuntuguide.org has the same problems (gray boxes)... we should get together a group of angry people with pitchforks and march on the Firefox headquarters. Wink I think we have enough reproducible examples to show that there is a bug in the rendering engine.

I checked out UbuntuGuide.org to see how they do their code boxes, and sure enough, they're also using <pre> with the overflow: auto; attribute. That's got to be what's causing the gray boxes in FireFox.

So....everyone send Mozilla error reports so that they'll fix this with the next version!

Quote:To me the #1 problem is that code boxes don't have indentation in IE.

Great point! I've always been so concerned about the gray boxes that I neglected fixing indenting with IE...which is just as important a problem, and easily fixable.

I just came up with a simple CSS fix that will display indented code properly in IE. I'm going to implement it into issue #12 and see if anyone has problems with it, and if not, I'll add the fix to all the issues.

Quote:Problem #2 that in FF the tab size is too big (8 chars).

Another point taken. How do you set it lower? I wasn't aware that you could do that with CSS.

Quote:The gray boxes isn't your fault, so I'd rather wait unti the bug is fixed. After all, you can always press the middle button.

The outlash about gray boxes after each issue has kind of boggled my mind, since for me it's so easy to work around.

99% of the time for me, they disappear with a single scroll wheel click. Once in a very great while there's a gray box that will only disappear with a reload or by scrolling up and down the page really fast...but I've never had one that wouldn't go away. Maybe this isn't the case for everyone?

If the gray boxes were to always appear at the same place and wouldn't go away no matter what you do, I can see why people would be so angry about it. But in my experience, that's never happened.
Pete's QB Site: http://www.petesqbsite.com

Messages In This Thread
QB Express Celebrates One Year: Issue #12 Released - by Pete - 07-22-2005, 02:52 AM