Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB and VISTA
I'm new and have a problem. Have spent hours reviewing Pete and Dav but am really a novice compared to you gamers.

I have many QB45 programs that crunch numbers and plot graphs. I like the interpreter; very seldom compile. My code runs fine on two desktops (Win95 and XP), but will not plot on the new laptop which runs on Vista Home Premium. Qb45 runs ok on Vista, it outputs tables etal with no problem, but will not plot the graphs.  Given the command to plot, the laptop beeps and says "This system does not support full screen mode"; then dumps me out.

I tried all of the Compatibility options, but no help.  A search at the MS site indicates that some 16-bit DOS-based programs will not run in full screen in (any versions of) Windows Vista. They say that Vista device drivers do not support all of the DOS video modes. So, the problem is 16-bit DOS and full screen mode.  Any easy solutions for me in your community?
(11-10-2007, 03:09 AM)dpburn link Wrote:Vista

You need to reload Vista:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno
Although I have to agree with Mac on the Vista solution (have Vista myself), the only real options are to use a dos emulator like dos box - http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1 or make sure your programs are text only and doesn't use things like the screen command.
Thanks, guys.  Here's the MS note which may help some of your problems
( with DOS prompt).  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926657/en-us.   If I should follow-up on their workaround (installing the XP
driver), does anyone know if its possible to switch the XP driver in and out for running only the QB45 program?
I still use XP on this new PC because I did not want the bother of having to hunt for new Vista drivers far a load of existing hardware. But I still found almost None of my existing DOS programs now run, and QB will only run using SCREEN 0 test mode, because of the fancy new flat screen monitor, and emails to the maker HANNS show in refusing to reply they are not the least bit interested in solving the problem. So I too am obliged to use dear old DOSBOX to get DOS programs to run.

I would dearly love to know if there is some safe program which is inherent in DOSBOX I could always run in start up to solve the problem. 

Gordon:  Are you saying that your QB programs do not run on XP because of a flat screen?  I have XP and a new flat LED screen, and have no problem with QB programs that have SCREEN 12 or 13.  I would love to try out one of your QB programs that don't seem to run for you.  What say?  You know my email address.  But, if you don't have it, I might have yours.  Let me know.
Ralph, using QuickBASIC 4.5 and Windows XP Home Edition and Service Pack 2, with HP LaserJet 4L printer.
Thanks for the interest Ralph and Merry Christmas.

The simple little program below demonstrates the problem with this HANNS-G 19 inch flat screen Monitor. Any SCREEN apart from 0 causes Quickbasic to abort completely. Even with DOSBOX SCREEN 2 shows but is corrupted. On an older PC using a CRT Monitor all the screens show OK even without DOSBOX. So none of my QB Programs below now work without DOSBOX.

Gordon

http://sionet.mysite.wanadoo-members.co....QBASIC.htm

Code:
     FOR SCR = 0 TO 13
          IF SCR = 2 THEN SCR = 7
          CLS : SCREEN SCR
          FOR N = 1 TO 20
               PRINT "SCREEN "; SCR
          NEXT N
          PRINT "PRESS A KEY": SLEEP 100
     NEXT SCR
And a very merry Christmas to you, Gordon!

Your program ran well on my Sony Electronics/ VAIO computer with an Intel Pentium cpu, a RADEON 9200 display adapter, and a FLATRON 19" LED monitor. 

Sorry that you can't seem to get it to run on your system.  Could it be that you are lacking the instalation of some driver?  In Control Panel, System, Hardware, Windows Update, I have the "If my device needs a driver, go to Windows Update without asking me" selected.  Could this possibly help you?  Good luck, and Happy New Year! : )

By the way, I tried to download your MODS programs, but got a "THIS PAGE WAS NOT FOUND" message.  Could you post one of those?  If you do, I'll be happy to see if I can run it on my syste, and to report it.
Ralph, using QuickBASIC 4.5 and Windows XP Home Edition and Service Pack 2, with HP LaserJet 4L printer.
Thanks for pointing out the missing MOD file Ralph. The problem was due to Orange who provide my free web space refuse to allow any files larger then 2 Mb to be uploaded on their latest sites. But thay do not have the sense to warn us it is not being accepted as they do if you exeed to total limit. I just had to memove one of the larger sample MOD files in the Zip.

I can see no drivers showoing in the HANNS Monitor installation disk. It just contains a PDF File and Adobe 6 which I do not need to instal. So I suppose like many others thery are no longer interested in supporting DOS Software.

Gordon
Gordon:

I downloaded the MODS zip file, and got seven .exe files. 

The first two, DMP32.EXE and DMP.EXE brought up a black, blank, dead screen. 

DSETUP.EXE ran fine.  So did ST3.EXE and WOWIIRUN.EXE.  That is, they both came up with a nice, readable screen, except that ST3.EXE had a few splotches.  I didn't try to do any more, as I don't know what I was supposed to do.

MWAMF.EXE and WOWII.EXE brought up a black screen for a second or so, then disappeared.

Is the above what you experience?