Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIAA Sues college student for $97.8 TRILLION
http://www.freep.com/money/tech/newman5_20030405.htm

How fucking INSANE do you have to be? I mean, GAWD!
am an asshole. Get used to it.
That money doesn't exist.
earn.
Gates could easily come up with $97.8 Billion. And that guy deserves it.
o, let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you are completely sane?! -A.J. Rimmer
I wonder if they'll win the suit...
Quote:I wonder if they'll win the suit...

No freaking way. I'm so sure the judge himself has an mp3 player.
am an asshole. Get used to it.
no....hm....billion
Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
Dude... [Image: dropjaw.gif]
[Image: sig.php]
Back by popular demand!
I will byte and nibble you bit by bit until nothing remains but crumbs.
um, this suit happened a while ago, when they sued 4 college students of redistributing music. They werent just Kazaa whores, they were the guys on Kazaa distributing the music, and allegidly, quite a lot of it. Not being one of those "music should be free" people, that's not an unreasonable allegation. Now, the damages the RIAA are seeking are rediculous. The most a downloaded song can be considered worth the is the price of a CD, ~$15. But then you have to factor in how many times the song was downloaded strictly from him. On average, when I download a popular song and leave it in my shared folder, it gets downloaded maybe twice a day. That's about $30 dollars a day for the most popular songs, meaning it would take about 5000 days, well over 12 years for that amount to be accurate. And that's not considering the songs that arent popular, or the reason people buy cds. Especially on a crowded college t1 line, he wouldnt be downloaded from that much. To accurately rebuke someone, they must first create an accurate measure of how much as been stolen in worth and then, if that amount is not punitive on it's own (e.g. in the case of billionaires) then they may apply additional charges.

Now, as for whether or not he should've been sued, well, that's a different story. Considering the circumstances, to stand by an unenforced law, they should've been given a warning, (1 week to stop redistribution entirely). To appy maximum charges is outrageous.

If i remember straight it was settled for about $10-15,000. This means on average, each student lost about $50,000 considering the fees of a defense lawyer.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry