Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
undeletable EXE's
I am running win ME with QB45 and I find that when I make an EXE it won't let me delete it. any copies I make are undeletable as well. I think it might have something to do with me deleting the OBJ files but are otherwise clueless?
WHILE RPG$ <> "complete" : make up silly excuses :WEND
Could have something to do with permissions, are you running as the computers administrator with full permissions?

ME has lots of problems though, i would recommend finding a copy of XP and upgrading, or downloading the latest version of Ubuntu Linux for free and running it in DOSBox

http://ubuntu.com
-yah
I have tryed UBUNTU but it runs slowly ( I only have 256 Mb RAM ). I have been thinking of upgrading to ME for a while. On the other hand it may be useful to make undeletable and unshiftable EXE's. I can't think of anything other than viruses.
I just "deleted" a qb45 .exe file with no .obj file, then restored it from the Recycle Bin, without a hitch.  The abscense of an .obj file shouldn't have anything to do with your problem.

When you try to delete a file by clicking on its icon. it will find the file by following the pata and name contained in the icon.  So... Try right-clicking on the .exe's  icon, then Properties.  Compare the path and file name with what you are seeing; if they don't match, that might be the problem.  If so, perhaps you can change the Properties path and name to match, and that will lwt you deleted it.
Ralph, using QuickBASIC 4.5 and Windows XP Home Edition and Service Pack 2, with HP LaserJet 4L printer.
That dosn't work ???
it still comes up with the error "Cannot delete *****. Access denied. The source file may be in use."
the source file is not in use.
Is it possible to grab it and drop it into another directory, say in the root directory, C:?  If so, you might try moving it and then deleteing it.  I can't think of anything else that might help you. Sad
Ralph, using QuickBASIC 4.5 and Windows XP Home Edition and Service Pack 2, with HP LaserJet 4L printer.
unfortunately I cannot move the EXE's either
It is not a problem with ME because I can delete any .EXE  created by QB.
Try renaming the .EXE  from NAME.EXE to BAD.BAS and then delete BAD.BAS.
There are freeware programs such as Unlocker that will do the job but I think Unlocker only works with XP and 2000.
Two more ideas:

1. Make a TEST.TXT file in the same directory as your .exe file resides.  In the DOS-Prompt command line, try merging them, using:
COPY TEST.TXT+yourFile.exe TESTexe.TXT
Now, try deleteing TESTexe.TXT

2. Open a .bas file in a QB, and save it as a QuickBASIC file.  Open it in a word processor, say in NotePad.  Look at the first few characters.  Open the ofending .exe file in NotePad, and change the first few characters to match your previous file.  Save it as a .bas file.  Now, delete it.  (I hope it works.  Others who know more about file ID could do a good job, here.)
To roy: I cannot rename files.  ???

To Ralph:
with your first method it makes a copy with both files together. if i had test.exe and test.txt i now have test.exe, test.txt and testexe.txt.

I do not understand your second method, could you be a bit more specefic please?