Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Incompatible DOS with Windows
At my of 75 having been tinkering with various PCs for some 25 years, not surprising I have acquired a considerable collection of old DOS programs that increasingly no longer work with modern versions of wonderful Windows. Some do still run with the help of the clever free DOSBOX.

I was wondering is the failure of these old DOS software to run now because of the modern motherboards or purely the fault of MS in failing to bother with the problem with the new versions of Windows. I must admit the failure of my present PC to run any graphics DOS using Windows XP must be due to the use of a modern fancy flat screen monitor, because much of it like QB graphics used to run using XP with CRT monitors.
The problem is that MSDOS and Windows are completely different OSs, and most MSDOS programs talk directly to the machine, which is simply not feasible nowadays.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Yesterday I did test a QuickBasic's sources and executables in a plasma monitor but everything did run OK. I am using Windows 98SE and I don't want to change it.
MY QBASIC'S PAGE                                                  I ONLY USE WINDOWS 98SE
Gordon:

I use Windows XP HE, a Flatron flat screen monitor. 

My QuickBASIC 4.5 graphics programs run fine.  I have heard of some oldies that just don't, though.

I have a bunch of your programs under my Gordon Sweet folder.  I tried several, including GRAPHICS.BAS, and they all seemed to run fine.
Ralph, using QuickBASIC 4.5 and Windows XP Home Edition and Service Pack 2, with HP LaserJet 4L printer.
Are you using a 64 bit machine? There is a newer DosBox version that allows the legacy graphics screens in QB to be used.

Do you have a Nvidia card for the monitor? I hear that some do not support legacy DOS screens. Uninstall VISTA period!

Ted
Get my QB demonstrator here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8440706/Q-Basics.zip