Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting QB to work in DOSEMU under Linux
QB.EXE runs fine, but I get an error with /L no matter what lib I try to load - "invalid format". LINK gives the same error with OBJs and LIBs too. These files were copied straight from my Windows partition into the directory DOSEMU is using for C:, and they worked with QB 4.5 under Windows XP. Permissions aren't the problem - I set them to allow anything.

It came with FreeDOS... maybe that's the problem? I've got images of MS-DOS install disks, but they need to be booted up on. I tried editing the conf file to make it mount one of the images as an A: drive but it froze in the middle of boot up.

I found instructions on a site to get MS-DOS working under DOSEMU (copying in some files from an ms-dos boot disk), and I followed them exactly, but it didn't work - DOSEMU just froze when I started it.

Have any of you gotten MS-DOS and/or QB working properly under DOSEMU? How did you do it?
Hey Sterling!!!! Wow!!!!

I can't help ya as I've never used XP

I have a Question for you though....

Check out the General programming forum. *)

PS. Welcome!!!
y smiley is 24 bit.
[Image: anya2.jpg]

Genso's Junkyard:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/
Thanks, it's refreshing to be here at a qb board that's still active :-) So this is where everybody went.

My problem actually has very little to do with XP. It's a linux/DOSEMU + QB issue.

I tried to answer your question as best I could, but be forewarned my computer science teacher says my C++ code, although highly optimised, shows that I have a sick, twisted, demented mind, and any math teacher I've had will tell you I have a confusing yet impressive (in a way) knack for creatively doing things the hard and convoluted way - for some reason the simple and obvious solution doesn't always occur to me...
I've read your reply. But trust me. Someone thought I was a lunatic at this board.

He has no idea I still am!!!
y smiley is 24 bit.
[Image: anya2.jpg]

Genso's Junkyard:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/
Jason at qb45.org helped me get msdos running on dosemu - now qb can load libraries just fine.

Now there's a problem the dosemu's built in mouse driver...
You know how in a Windows dos prompt, you can select a rectangle of text and copy it if the cursor is in "mark mode" or whatever? Well in dosemu, the cursor is always in mark mode and I don't know how to turn it off. It interferes with mouse-driven programs.

Plus, it's VESA support stinks: your desktop must be at 16 bits per pixel for dos programs to be in 16 bit modes, otherwise, even if your desktop is at 24/32 bit, it'll only support 8 bit modes.

*sigh* maybe I should just use a virtual machine instead.