Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Professional Animation Program
Ok, I've asked something like this before. But does anyone know of any free (or trial) animation programs like the ones they use for Television(if they do use programs). And please don't suggest flash, cause I'm just gonna say "ok" and look for something else.
Anim8or, or if you're hardcore, 3dsMax.

The interface of anim8or is based on Max, tho, so it's easy to adapt...
If you mean something like GIFs, which is what I first thought, try Photoshop (or PaintShop Pro? I forget...)

Quote:Anim8or

Agree, free, fast, and saves in a load of file types. Problem is, it doesn't work on the computer I'm on now, so I always use it the other one...

www.anim8or.com
size=9]"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." -- Theodore Roosevelt[/size]
I'm sure they use computer programs in most cartoons now, judging by the amount of cheesy digital effects on today's cartoons (to apply them to the cel the old fashioned way like in movies would be devastating in cost). But you dont have an animation studio in your bedroom (the only one i've ever been to was at disney and they used some kind of an photographic scanner that was instantanieous, and then used digital paints.)

You're best bet to produce animations in your bedroom probably is an easy gif animator (like gif construction set, i can upload it if you like), a scanner on 2 color black and white setting a few times more detailed than the resolution you want the final product to be, and a paint program to use the paint bucket and scale down (or clear the white, scale down and use the multiply setting in photoshop/psp). effects like scrolling and scaling you can just use your paint program. Remember, even for those (really cool, but a wee choppy now and then) "sprite animations" in old lucasarts games they required a team of like 5 or 6 people to make, so dont set your expectations too high.

EDIT: If you're really, really into this idea, I'd get some kidn of tracing light, they cost about 20 bucks to make or buy. just any lit surface will do, it makes it easy to trace drawings. But dont invest in it unless you're sure you can handle actual animation, which i've found not to be worth it (i made one or two crappy animations for a school project when I was about 15. The tracing light made it mucho easier, but it was still hell on earth to make it look decent by myself).
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
Oh, I thought you meant 3d stuff.

A tracing light isn't necessary. If you've got money to spend, you're better off getting an inexpensive tablet than a tracing light. Any serious gif animator (or even stop motion pro, if you want) supports onion skinning, which is that feature electronically.

Whereas a tablet will let you bypass the whole paper-drawing-scanning step in favour of simply doing the artwork right in PSP.
he might be. I was just assuming it based on a whim he had before that one hack to make an animated cartoon.

anyhow, in forthehellofit debate:
true on the tablets. only problem is, is you need really good hand-eye coordination i dont have. the only tablet i've used is my friend's. he uses it for coloring, where it has a lot more application but i couldn't use a tablet for art unless it was a touchscreen, and worked like digital paper. I figure if a scanner's good enough for Ian McConville to spend 4 days with one drawing, it's good enough for me Big Grin. Besides, I got my tracing light for one andrew jackson. I wish I had a tablet, but I'm way more than 20 bucks short there Wink. I only use the tracing light now when i'm experimenting with a character's face though Sad.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
Oh, I love using tablets... I just don't have the cash to pick one up. I've tried out two decent ones and one kid-pix BS one.
I am planning to buy a Wacom for $90-$100. I've tried it and it is great.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
This is not used in the industry, but I just discovered it, and it's very cool. http://www.toonboomstudio.com/main/

Lets you set up multiple cels and set motion paths and anim sequences and stuff. It can export to avi, mov, or flash.

Haven't had a chance to play with it a lot, but looks very powerful from what I've seen.