Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Minigoal...
Ok, this is how it's gonna start out. The first person on the thread to give me a challenging suggestion on making a pure HTML page, is the idea I'll use. It must be detailed as if you were paying me to make a page for you.

Second, once I've done this, I'll post it for all of you, and you will rate it out of 100 (with a small review, otherwise I'll just ignore you...

Thrid, depending on the results, I might start a web design business... Thank you.
A global energy company has contacted you with instructions to build them a web interface, with facts about their three main power production ways: gas, solar and nuclear. You are to build them an interface with details on all of these methods (where the plants are, how they use only the best uranium etc), which must have a "clean green" theme. The links really need to stand out, they say. One of the guys suggests you use logos with the inline links to the "help" and "press release" pages.

So the pages needed are:
Home
Gas
Nuclear
Solar
PR
Help

You may also add in the same theme:
Contact

EDIT: also noticed you said "page" and not "site". But I think it would still be good if you made a few pages that looked "integrated". For extension (you do realise that in a web business you will have to do this) you could make a "printer friendly" version of the PR page.

So, you don't have to make all the pages above, I just suggest it. If you need any more info, just ask.
True true... I'll take this challenge, but why a global energy company??? Where am I gonna get information for this? I don't even know what pictures to add... I guess this is a web designer's challenge...
I chose a "global energy company" because I'm also interested in how good you write web copy (i.e. the actual text someone will read). For a global energy company you'll have to write in a style that is understandable for anybody who understands basic english (so no colloquialism, slang, not to many joining words etc), and it still has to get the info across without the company sounding like a huge impersonal megaconglomerate eg "we put our customers first" and "only the finest ingredients are used in our products".

As for pictures: you don't really need them, do you? Fine, get some placeholder pictures (a picture of any old nuclear power plant for the nuke page for example), but they aren't completely nessecary. Take a look at qbnz. I have not used a single structural image. At all. The only pictures are ones for other sites and the web ring. (And no "blank.gif", the 1X1 transparent nightmare :winkSmile.

And you're right, this is a real web designers challenge. You'll often be given vague instructions and exotic plans for a site, you'll just have to do what you can and explain nicely to the client why you couldn't add a 30min flash video :wink: