Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QBASIC and other languages.
Once I learn the art of programming and a language is it alot easier to then learn other computer program languages?
if you have the nerve to learn some of the other so-called languages *cough* Java *cough*.
Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
Quote:Once I learn the art of programming and a language is it alot easier to then learn other computer program languages?
The short answer is yes.
You get used to the logical format that programs need to take and general program structures and algorithms. But it depends what language you know, to be able to say whether the transition to another language is easy, or not.

BASIC (Beginner's All-Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code) was designed to be a steping-stone language. To teach general programming techniques.
url=http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=60131&t=79][Image: safer.gif][/url]
END OF LINE.
Quote:Once I learn the art of programming and a language is it alot easier to then learn other computer program languages?

Phydaux said that Basic is a good stepping-stone language. Yes and no. Here are my thoughts:

* If you just want to "fool around"with some programming, Basic is fine 'cause it's fairly simple and easy to learn.

* Remember that Basic is from the 1960's. A stepping-stone back then is not one now. If you intend to be using programming as part of your career, then I would not recommend Basic. Start out with C and then C++ to begin understanding the concepts of today's programming environments. Leaning Basic first might later make the transition harder. Remember, we always love the first programming language that we learn. Why fall in love with an obsolete one.
The Basic of today has no real comparison with what it started out as. I started out in the 1950's. I still use me. Smile Cars, for example, came to be long before then. They're still being used, even though the ones that existed then won't likely ever be again.
ravelling Curmudgeon
(geocities sites require copying and pasting URLs.)
I liked spam better when it was something that came in a can.
Windows should be defenestrated.
I hear ya, GLENN, but I don't get your point.
Moneo wrote:

Why fall in love with an obsolete one

I think Basic is not obsolete. Have You ever heard about PureBasic, or XBasic? Both of them are modern Windows based languages with fast speed (Assembly!). Xbasic is an open-source one! It puts out assembly language files what can be compiled on Linux, and Windows too without any modification in Your BAS file! But that's also true that Xbasic is only 70% basic, the rest is C (I know both languages, so it's no problem for me)
ingCheetah, the Running Cheetah Software programmer

http://rcs.fateback.com/
KingCheetah,

If Basic were not obsolete, then these new ramifications of Basic would not be around. In my opinion, they're just trying to attract the market of many, many Baisic users and lovers who now have nowhere to turn.
I should mention that powerbasic beats the bants off both of them, but it will never be as popular as c/c++, because c/c++ is the standard, and as a result C compilers still outpower BASIC ones because they're made by professional teams.

If you program QBasic, though, you really shouldnt care. I do whatever I program because it's a good "concept" language, and it's fun.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
With UGL, you have 16 megs of RAM to work with and a not-so-big slowdown compared with windows 32 bit games, even in 16x800x600. It's giving a new life to qb, methinks.
Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.