Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Complainin' ain't easy!
So I bought this 4 pack of games a few weeks ago. Quake II, Tomb Raider Chronicles, Shadow force, and Deus Ex.

Except not really.

The damn Deus Ex was a freakin' 5 level demo(only discernable from the real thing by tiny little letters at the top of the case, or in the case of the 4 pack, only found out by reading the back carefully)! I decided to write off the loss as being scammed (nearly every game in that price range is the full thing, the real deal.), but yesterday I saw the same demo for sale for 15 bucks -- the same price as full games in the same part of the store. That's just not cool. To kick this trend down before it becomes a trend, I decide to complain to the publisher -- I thought it was eidos. So I spill my guts on the eidos forum, and make a complete ass of myself, since it turns out activision distributed the demo. So now I've made an ass of myself at the wrong place, and I have to figure out how to get the message to ACTIVISION this time(they don't have a neat and tidy forum to complain on), that selling demos of old games for the same price as full games which are around the same age(that is to say, aging) isn't cool, and if they keep that up, I'm going to stop buying games published by them(I'm quite happy to stick with SmartSaver and EA Classics if this scam is what Activision is going to try to pull on me)

To put this in perspective, I've spent hundreds of dollars of bargin bin games over the past year(yeah, I'm hardcore. Don't applaud), and while I've played some really shitty games as a result(Space bunnies must die being one of them, Unreal being another), I've also played some really incredible ones like Shogun:total war and Battle Realms which I never would have picked up at 80 bucks a piece when they first came out. This is the only time I've paid for a demo since the days of floppy disks. When you pay 1 dolar for a disk, you don't expect it to be the full thing, but when you're paying 15-20 bucks for an older game(you have to remember, it's getting on in age -- I bought UT for 10 bucks when it was still younger than Deus Ex is now, and that was the full version. I bought System Shock 2 at about the same age as well. Companies which sell abandonware in a timely and inexpensive manner are destined to make money off a guy like me(I'd much rather own a legit copy of a game than be forced to get it from a site like home of the underdogs). Companies who sell demos of abandonware for the same price as the full game should be selling for do not.
That's because I make extensive use of my CDR and my broadband internet connection.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
That is scum, I buy games when they re-released on budget; two reasons for it.. a) its cheaper and I'm supporting the company a bit b) its more likely to work on my computer with having to upgrade it ;-)

Defintely complain, they should give you a full copy of Deus Ex for your trouble ;-)
They won't listen to you. Or anyone else.

Try applying for a job at www.stainlesssteelstuios.com
They made Empire Earth. They have at least 5 positions last time I checked. They won't even send you back a confirmation email if you send them one.
Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
That would be a nice article on your mag...;*)
y smiley is 24 bit.
[Image: anya2.jpg]

Genso's Junkyard:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/
Quote:That is scum, I buy games when they re-released on budget; two reasons for it.. a) its cheaper and I'm supporting the company a bit b) its more likely to work on my computer with having to upgrade it

same here. Are the games marked as demos anywhere on the packaging?
Oh my god!! Demos being sold? What's the point?

Usually, demoes can be downloaded for free, or are included in magazines (at least in my country) !!!
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Quote:
Quote:That is scum, I buy games when they re-released on budget; two reasons for it.. a) its cheaper and I'm supporting the company a bit b) its more likely to work on my computer with having to upgrade it

same here. Are the games marked as demos anywhere on the packaging?

On the 4 pack, you needed to read the back carefully to figure it out. On the standalone products, there's a tiny notice at the top. I doubt a person would even notice it unless they were looking for it.(It's like the "with ASPRITAME" label on diet coke cans)
Quote:Oh my god!! Demos being sold? What's the point?

Usually, demoes can be downloaded for free, or are included in magazines (at least in my country) !!!

That's the way it is here too. I played the Deus Ex demo two or three years ago, and I got it off a magazine demo disk. That's why I find what activision is doing so distasteful.
Well, at least quake 2 was full. Quake 2 is work 15 bucks.

I hope, i want to buy it Wink

But yeah, new are ridicuslous what they want for power, i got a brand new computer, and get this, IT STUTTERS PLAYING UNREAL TOURNAMENT 2003!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And its a fricken 1.8 GHZ p4, the northwood type. Okay so the cards intregrated, but i should be able to play it at a reasonable frame rate.

Back to sam and max on the scumm vm emulator.

And DOOM, *drools*, emualated on legacy this game kicks ass, anyone want to play online?
b]Hard Rock[/b]
[The Stars Dev Company] [Metal Qb flopped] [The Terror]
Stop Double Posts!
Whats better? HTML or Variables?