Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Programming language...
...is used to program console games? this question has befudled me for the last time!
the mind is a beautiful thing, use it and make the world a more beautiful place.
gba's development kit has a c compiler. and a lot of earlier ones used a form of assembly. that's all i can tell you. i'd imagine nowadays they use some kind of c you can compile with kits.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
extended version of c# maybe?
the mind is a beautiful thing, use it and make the world a more beautiful place.
no. I definately dont see c sharp being used. C and C++ are the chief languages of every console available (except cell phones). C# is a gimmick invented by microsoft.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
Most console games will be developed in either C or C++ and then cross-compiled to the target CPU. In the case of the X-Box, its very easy because it has an Intel PC chip inside it. Small amounts of assembly programming may be required if the programmer is doing something specific. Java is quite popular for creating embedded and cellphone games.

I did a quick search for some cross-compilers for popular consoles, but most of them require you to be a registered developer to download the software.

Quote:C# is a gimmick invented by microsoft.
Now, now toonski, we've been over this. C# is a nice little language and very powerful in combination with .NET, and anyone who thinks its just a Java rip-off needs to try using it before throwing accusations around.
esus saves.... Passes to Moses, shoots, he scores!
I heard rumours from idiots that Playstation 2 was going to come with a C++ dev. option inside the console when you load the system up without a CD inside... I never checked up on that though... too lazy. Did anyone else hear that rumour, or is my town stupider than I thought?
earn.
I don't know, but I once saw a screenshot with a guy programming for a console (XBox?) using Java/C++ (couldn't tell), and a program to calculate running times for his stupid C functions.
Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
Well, John Romero(remember him) now makes games for consoles and he says he's using ASM+C.
y smiley is 24 bit.
[Image: anya2.jpg]

Genso's Junkyard:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/
Yeah, but he spends about 4 hours a day brushing his hair in front of a blank television so he's not a very good example.

Anyhow, consoles only recognized compiled ASM code. The compilers in dev kits are usually asm or C, but they can be whatever the company pulls out of their ass. That's pretty established.
Quote:Yeah, but he spends about 4 hours a day brushing his hair in front of a blank television so he's not a very good example.

What do you mean?
y smiley is 24 bit.
[Image: anya2.jpg]

Genso's Junkyard:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/