Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux
Hi Guys,
I have some questions about Linux. I had an old version of it(6.2). I installed it on a windows partition with 64Mb as swap file and 1024Mb(1GB) as root. It is a GNOME Workstation. I had a few questions:

1.How do I access my windows partition thru Linux(Fat32 not NTFS)?

2.I have WinXP and WinME and now Red Hat Linux 6.2. I am currently using WinXP’s boot loader since I have multiple OSs. But it does not show Linux as one of the OS in the OS choices menu. How do I put Linux in its list so I can just select linux to load instead of using a boot floppy everytime?

3.Where can I get Windows fonts for linux?

Thanx.
Windows' boot manager will ignore Linux, no matter what you do. You better use LILO or another Linux boot manager. It will recognize and boot your windows partitions.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Quote:1.How do I access my windows partition thru Linux(Fat32 not NTFS)?
Mandrake Linux 9.1 will automatically mount your Windows partition. The latest version of RedHat probably does too, but with 6.2 your going to have to use the mount command.

Quote:2.I have WinXP and WinME and now Red Hat Linux 6.2. I am currently using WinXP’s boot loader since I have multiple OSs. But it does not show Linux as one of the OS in the OS choices menu. How do I put Linux in its list so I can just select linux to load instead of using a boot floppy everytime?
Windows' boot loader doesn't support Linux, but Linux boot loaders do support Windows XP and Windows ME - they'll both be in the list along with Linux, and you can add/remove OSs from the list later. Try LILO or GRUB.

Quote:3.Where can I get Windows fonts for linux?
The latest versions of KDE and GNOME have very nice looking, antialiased fonts. Mandrake Linux 9.1 can import Windows font directly from your Windows installation.

In short, UPGRADE! It's free! Why are you using such an old, obsolete version of Linux?
I just got Mandrake 9.0 and run it in VMware Tongue
am an asshole. Get used to it.
You can download a linux shell script called webFonts.sh from http://gongolo.usr.dsi.unimi.it/~vigna/webFonts4Linux/. Download the Red Hat version and run it, and it will download and install ttf-arial, ttf-times etc for you.

Also, I had the problem with windows and linux partitions earlier, the best solution is, by far, LILO. Just run it in linux, reboot and press shift after BIOS. And BTW, LILO supports windows 98 as well.
hey.. here a question...

if a install linux, my qbasic programs will run????, i have to download other compiler????

all of my work doesnot work in linux enviroment????
rom Lima, Peru!
I'm the only person who has ever got QBasic to run in Linux. You have to download DOSEMU and FREEDOS and then go through a god-awful setup process, and even then there are some issues with different screen modes (and it's even slower than it is now, if you can imagine :rollSmile, but it can be done. Once the dos emulator is installed you just download QBasic and shove it in a directory like normal, and it'll run.
Quote:I'm the only person who has ever got QBasic to run in Linux.
Works fine for me, Im using XDosemu and MS-Dos from my Dos partition on /mnt/dos.

Quote:1.How do I access my windows partition thru Linux(Fat32 not NTFS)?
You need to know which harddrive your Windows partition is on, if for example it is on the primary master this should work. Log in as root and do this at the console:
Code:
$ cd /mnt
$ mkdir windows
$ mount -t msdos /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
Your Windows partition will now be mounted in /mnt/windows. If you want to have it mounted automagically at boot then you will need to add an entry to /etc/mtab. For information about how mounts and their config files work read the man pages for mount, umount, mtab and fstab. You can read a man page by typing for example:
Code:
$ man mount

Quote:Why are you using such an old, obsolete version of Linux?
The 2.2 kernel isn't quite obsolete yet, 2.6 has only recently come out in beta form so most people will still be using either 2.2 or 2.4. Although Andy Tanenbaum might disagree with me ;-)
esus saves.... Passes to Moses, shoots, he scores!
Quote:
Quote:I'm the only person who has ever got QBasic to run in Linux.
Works fine for me, Im using XDosemu and MS-Dos from my Dos partition on /mnt/dos.

Bastard Smile My X-Window for my dos won't resize to full screen, does yours work fine?

I'm on 2.4.20 Debian BTW
xdosemu can do fullscreen? How?