Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Want to make a portable text reader...
Hi everyone, I have recently been thinking about constructing a portable text file reader. I want something I can insert a floppy disk into, and have it display a pure ASCII file on a calculator-style LCD screen, preferrably in 70 or 80xSomething(40?) resolution. Of course, I know nothing about electronics, but I though that now may be the time to learn.

This project is probably too hideously complicated to even comprehend, simple as it may seem at first glance. I would need to build a floppy interface, and, if I was going to be storing more than one file on each disk, it'd be some kind of infinitely more complicated floppy interface. The reader would need a functioning screen. It would need to accept user input with regards to scrolling the text. It would need to store the text in memory.

Could some of those around here who are more experienced than me tell me if this is at all possible (for me), and, if it could, how it would be done and roughly how much it would cost?
In a race between a rock and a pig, don't varnish your clams." -- "Dilbert"
Man, if you are new to electronics you better start with something like a PSX pad to PC game port interface or something. What you intend to do is a complete dedicated system. You'll need a microprocessor, a custom motherboard and a display controller, plus memory, etc.

I can think on a nice and cheap 16 bits motorola to do the work. Or you could think on adapting an old PC (286 or sumthin like that), but this would be hard as well.

Definitely, what you intend to do is very hard. First you have to learn electronics, and then you have to learn about computer architecture, which is not trivial.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Meh, too hard then. It would probably cost money, anyway.
Get a laptop.
Hmm... someone here was trying to get rid of a 5x7 lcd screen... maybe that was on Neobasic.

That sounds like a hefty but cool project to undertake, kind of like a makeshift e-book reader.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
Print out your text files. Paper is really portable. :wink:
Quote:Print out your text files. Paper is really portable. :wink:

LOL!
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Yeah, but paper kills trees! While electronics only consume indirectly fossil fues, oil depletion and promote nuclear waste!
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
Quote:Get a laptop.

Or a GBA
;*)
y smiley is 24 bit.
[Image: anya2.jpg]

Genso's Junkyard:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/
Quote:Get a laptop.

Kind of hard to hide in maths class. Which is why I want something like this, mainly. Anyway, they cost too much. I'm not willing to shell out a few thousand at this stage. I got a not-too-chunky 1994 Toshiba for $20, but it broke Sad.

Quote:Print out your text files. Paper is really portable.

It takes a really long time and a lot of ink to print the things I want to read. Though, I once did print out the entire 3rd Ed. DMs guide, Monster Manual and Player's Guide... it took until 4:00 am.