Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bios password
Is there any generic way to remove the bios password? I don't have my motherboard manual.
Set the clear CMOS jumper, start up the computer, shut down computer, unset the jumper, then start it back up again.

If there is no clear CMOS jumper or you can't find it, just take the battery out and leave the computer off for about 3 hours. Put the battery back in and start it up.

This will erase all your BIOS settings, including the password, so you'll have to re-set them.
what does the baterry look like in case I don't find the clear jumper. Now when you say Set the clear Cmos jumper, what do you mean? Do you mean take off the jumper?
No, you close the jumper to clear the CMOS. Normally it's open, because you don't want your CMOS cleared every time you start up your computer.

On Pentium mobos and newer, the battery is usually a CR2032 and looks like this:

[Image: image002.jpg]

(You can also see the "clear CMOS" jumper in this picture, it's currently in the open position.)
lol. i once made a program that just OUTs zeros to the CMOS so that it's practially worthless, and then when you boot, it restores defaults. and it worked. i forgot my password once, but since i have a DUAL BIOS [TM] SHIT, i had to run it twice Smile

i believe it was port 0x70... dont remember tho.

[Flexibal>
Cool, thanks guys!
hmmmm, i never had a bios password since i never set one....

what for, i'm the only user of my very own pc..... so, what is that bios password good for? you got someone in the familey screwing up yer bios?
'm so lazy... no really.... i am the laziest programmer ever ... ever.
A BIOS password is a password at the BIOS level...The computer won't boot without the password. It's obviously very easy to disable if you have access to the motherboard, but it keeps the rifraff (little kids...) out.
Sorry, that's not what I meant. I meant the password to enter the bios setup, not a password to boot the system. Is it still the same procedure to erase it? I haven't got to trying yet because I'm at work. thanks
Yep, same procedure. It will clear all the settings.