Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News on LONG developement.
If you don't know yet, LONG(Legacy Of Noname General) is my current project in developement, a point and click adventure game, which I've been developing for some time now, with too many breaks.

Anyway, as I announced I've started to work on a new click box system which is neccesary if I want to make the game compilable at all. I am currently transfering all the click boxes on outside files. So far I've done this for 12 scenes out of 17 currently present in the game. This work is not difficult as I thought and I will probably finish it in the next two weekends. I've also started to write the neccesary code which I'll need in order to use these files. That part is also developing nice, since the code turned out to be very economic and compact. More than I expected. Only part that grows is set of two SELECT CASE blocks which are related to click boxes which change, like places which you can operate or places where you can pick up an object. You see, all click boxes placed in outside files are set of variables(some of them are STRINGs of course) and one of those variables is a code that can point out dependable on click box type (also flaged with a variable) if that click box is an object which player can pick up or if that click box is a portal to a new scene and the code then is a number of the new scene.

Doing all this I've also realised that I'll need a separate set of files for click boxes which react on activated object. You see, first set of click boxes will be used when the player left or right clicks on various parts of the scene and the second set of click boxes will be used when you interact with an object with various partsof the scene. I think this is a better way to do it since if I pack all these click boxes in one set of files it will get very complicated.

Also, checking the game once more convinced me that LONG maybe will not turn out to be such an averege game. I don't know, the world and the characters are more interesting than I thought. I'm not sure that players will be happy when they finish the game, but I'm pretty sure first impresions will be good.

I'm still annoyed with some parts of the game that I need to do (The Terminal) and few missing scenes I need to draw. I'm still hoping to find somebody to help me with few graphical problems. Release dates? I sincerely belive right before or right after the summer of 2004.

Cheers!
What are your 'graphical problems'?
I sent you the terminal code, didn't I?
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Yes, I know Nathan. And it's a big help. I have the core but I need to add all the commands.
Didn't do much work last weekend. Been busy playing Targhan Tongue

Nevertheless, I have only two scenes left to convert into outside files. Have in mind that I haven't done all the scense yet. I'm talking about converting the scenes I've done so far.

I'll probably finish it next weekend and be able to test it. Then, drawing and adding into the code the rest of the scenes is in order.
Finished the conversion work. Was able to compile the game. Nitpicked the click boxes for 17 currently present scenes. Packed it all in a nice in-house demo that some selected people will receive.

Will leave it to breed for a while. Smile
Can't wait, Lachie. I've been waiting for that one to get finished since seeing the artwork in your first demo way back when. I'm sure it'll be great. Big Grin Do you have any plans to continue Ritual Combat, by any chance?
Got it bro. will try to play it later. If I can get this monitor to work.
y smiley is 24 bit.
[Image: anya2.jpg]

Genso's Junkyard:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/
Ritual Combat is currently a canceled project.
If I ever start to work on it I'll will start from the scratch. Completely new code and graphic. But nothing soon.
Yes. I did some work on the LONG. For the past 2 weekends. Unfortenatully
I was not productive as I hoped to. Did some warming up studing and
always got EXTREMELY sleepy around 17 o'clock, when I pretty much
stop studing. During the week, I sleep 4 hours a night so I have to
catch that up during the day. I guess the habit of sleeping during the
afternoon prolonged on the weekend. I know, stupid. I wish social life
was my excuse.

Anyway, converted OBJECT click boxes to the outside files. Object click
boxes are, like I explained before, click boxes that are active when you
use an object on the environement. The concept changed a bit, so now
when you click with an object on the scene object remains active until
you choose to diactivate it. It the old concept, object would automaticly
diactivate when you would click on any place on the scene so you were
not able to shoot around, search for the right place easily. I was advised
to do this by some people who tested the last demo and they know exactly
what I'm talking about. Anyway, moving these click boxes to outside files
was neccesary since I will have to add quite few routines to the code
so I want to avoid compilation headaches.

Finished one scene that was for long "hanging in the air". It's a bit
doubtfull, since it's a room that looks much smaller from outside scene.
But what is done is done. Completely finished a new scene which is one
of the two very demanding ones left. Wasn't able to do something noteworthy
on the second of those two. Like I said, was to lazy. Ah yes, almost forgot.
I've once again, COMPLETELY REPOLISHED ALL the scenes. I know, you are
getting tired of me talking about polishing old scenes but this is FINAL.
I took care of every scene, added a lot of shading and details and used
the full potential of the latest palette.

Anyway, I will add one more scene that wasn't meant to be in the game.
Finish the second demanding one. I have one character to draw or repolish
the current one drawed by Nathan. I have some problem with the palette. Will
probably have to add new colors. Graphic for the end is still a big job
ahead. Desided to use Eric's Mode7 map routine for a certain animation in
the game. I think it will turn out great. Anyway, great amount of job is
done, but a lot ahead. Adding the click boxes and implementing the terminal
if one of the programming tasks ahead.
Don't know how much I'll do during the hollydays. Desided to participate in
some compo at Home Of The Underdogs.