Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Site scrolling beat 'm up in QB can it be done!!!
Hi you all,

First: if there is already a side scrolling beat 'm up in QB. Please tell me where I can find it.

Second: I planning to code a side scrolling beat 'm up with QB using Rellib. What I mean is that I wan't to create a game like Double Dragon or Golden Axe.

Third: I don't know where to start. I know that I have to write a good pixel*pixel scrolling engine. But what about AI, Movement of the characters, collision, and handling object's like weapons and stuff.

I hope you can help me and give me an idea of how to begin.
1) there's only one that I can think of.

2) coo.

3) Make the scrolling engine and modularize into subs as much as possible so you end up with a drawbg() routine, a drawobjects() and a drawstats() routine. Then you can knock it down one at a time. After that you can worry about things like sorting sprites by the y axis and such, or deciding which objects are enemies, are players, etc.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
Making the scrolling engine, and modularize into subs isn't the problem. I have done it a few times.
That's why I ask how I have to do the things toonski84 mentioned like worry about things like sorting sprites by the y axis and such, or deciding which objects are enemies, are players, etc.

Because i like to set deathlines for my project's. I wan't to get a good point of view of what kind of things I have to do for my project.

So I ask you people to share some ideas.
(aaarrghhh it's hard to tell somebody what I mean without knowing the right words, my englisch is bad I hope you all know what I mean)
First point: set no deadlines for projects you'll be making in your spare time anyway.

When I'm doing stuff, QBasic always has to come second to school, work etc. So there's no point in setting a deadline if you'll find yourself pressured by it.

Second: get the engine working fine first. No enemies, just a small test level with all the things in it the final game will have.

If you get past that stage (which is as likely as not with the qb world), then you can get the details done.
If you get past that stage (which is as likely as not with the qb world) <--- That's Because I like to set deadlines...

I've written a scrolling engine, And got a Sub that's draws the entire background. Here is where the prblem starts. How can I let my character jump on different platforms. (maybe by using two y values one for height and one for where the character stands on the level.) But can anyone explain to me how this is done.

And next question is how do I handle object'ts like weopons?
isn't vplanet making a fighting game of it's own? i believe the page is on the qb expo 2003 site.
Jumping Jahoolipers!
but that's not a side-scrolling beat-em-up. think "ninja turtles", or "the simpsons", or the old "xmen" game.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
Look up all of Megaman and Kofman's old threads.
Quote:If you get past that stage (which is as likely as not with the qb world) <--- That's Because I like to set deadlines...

I've written a scrolling engine, And got a Sub that's draws the entire background. Here is where the prblem starts. How can I let my character jump on different platforms. (maybe by using two y values one for height and one for where the character stands on the level.) But can anyone explain to me how this is done.

I think you mean games like Double Dragon or Final Fight. In such games, you have a 3D environment in a 2D rendered screen, so you need a Z coordinate for heights. You have X, Y for each plane and Z for height. When you go UP & DOWN you modify the Y value, when you jump you modify the Z value. You need a logic 3D-tile structure. Just make a 3D array and set up walkable and non walkable tiles. The player can, for example, jump to an upper level if it is not more than 1 tile higher than the current level where the player is.

Quote:And next question is how do I handle object'ts like weopons?

Create a TYPE for them and store them in a array.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Thanks na_th_an now I have a start. I 'll be working on it!!!