Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual Booting Windows XP and 95
I'm an absolute beginner to the idea of dual booting.
However, since I recently encountered difficulties (i.e. doesn't work at all) with the graphics.h standard header file that comes with C/C++, I want to install Windows 95 as well on my currently XP machine.
How do I do this? I know I need to get Windows 95 first...I can get that. But after that, what do I do? I'm completely lost here.
f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
Zack: First of all you would need to decide whether you want to install Win95 on a seperate hdd (provided you have one available) or make a seperate partition for Win95. You may also decide to use an emulation software such as VMware, and avoid the hassles of having to repartition or find a seperate hdd.
Quuskia - digital princess
THere is an easy way, but you need to use FDISK which is not very user friendly.

Basicly, you take your HDD and make two partitions. In the so called "primary" partition you have to install Windows 95. In the so called "extended" partition you have to install Windows XP.

What I do can be sum up it these steps:

1.- You need a full featured Windows 95 boot disk (not just one FORMAT /S, but one with FORMAT, FDISK and CDROM support. You can make one from control panel->Install/Remove programs* )

(*) Not sure how it is called, my windows is in Spanish.

2.- Once you have it, leave it on the drive and reboot. When prompted, answer that you wanna boot *without* CDROM support.

3.- Enter FDISK. You'll have to use option 3 to remove current partition. This will destroy all data in the HDD, so make your backups before.

4.- Then use options 1 and 2 to create the primary partition first (with, say, 2 or 3 Gigs for Windows 95) and the extended partition second (with plenty of space).

5.- Reboot your computer (with the disk again). This time, when prompted, answer that you want CDROM support.

6.- Format the two partitions: FORMAT C: and then FORMAT D:

7.- Enter the CDROM drive, which will be F: most likely, and run INSTALL.EXE. Install Windows 95 normally.

8.- Once you're done installing Windows 95, enter your Windows XP CDROM and install it. It may be possible to install from within Windows 95. If not, you'll have to alter BIOS to make your computer boot from the CDROM.

9.- Be careful during the Windows XP installation process: you have to tell the installer to install Windows XP in D:, leaving C: and Windows 95 alone.

10.- Windows XP will install a boot manager that will allow you to boot from Windows 95 or Windows XP when you boot your computer.

As you may have realized, this is very complex stuff. Feel free to ask.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Easy solution that doesn't require formatting:

1. Get Partition Magic

2. Resize your XP partition so there's some free space for Win 95 (2 GB free should do it.)

3. Make a FAT partition in the free space

4. Install Boot Magic to the FAT partition. Make the rescue disk when prompted. Enable the boot manager.

5. Restart, choose Windows 95, put in your Win95 CD, install Windows.

6. When finished installing, use your rescue disk to boot back to XP and re-enable the boot manager. (Installing Win95 disables it).

7. You're finished.
*shivers*
That seems complicated...do you think that Microsoft or anything would guide me through it...? oh, and I don't have a floppy drive.
Zack: Is there any particular reason why you are using Win95 as opposed to Win98? Win98 is bootable from the cd, less prone to system crashes and does not require a floppy.
Quote:*shivers*
That seems complicated...do you think that Microsoft or anything would guide me through it...? oh, and I don't have a floppy drive.

Microsoft won't help. Windows 95 is not supported. If you go to a Microsoft forum to get help they'll tell you exactly the same things Plasma and I have suggested. Having a dual boot is not something for the general user. It is advanced stuff. Can't you find someone to do it for you?
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Quote:Zack: Is there any particular reason why you are using Win95 as opposed to Win98? Win98 is bootable from the cd, less prone to system crashes and does not require a floppy.

It could be that his old computer had win95 on it Smile

Then again, the download from kazaa may be smaller :lol:

I use lilo as my boot manager, it's simple enough to make partitions, but I don't know if it works with windows or not.
Whatever. I think that when my brother gets back from univ he might be able to guide me through the process...
Zack: Perhaps in the meantime, you may want to experiment with VMware if you have any urgency to get work done. It does not require any repartitioning, simply install, run and use. Smile